Fault Code Readers

My brother in laws got one easy to use get one thats does make n model of car find where to plug it in turn reader on select from list what veihcle you have then turn ignition lights on and it will give you code whats causing fault mate

Yeah I have one for the Mrs vw Passat, it's brilliant and has saved me a fortune several times, last time it found a faulty injector and discovered it was a recall and would have cost 2k had I just sent it in for repair.

Can reset service lights as well, wouldn't be without it.

I recommend anybody with any car less than 20 years old get one that is compatible with their car.

Starting in about mid 90's saw an introduction and transitional period between compatibility but I understand most cars made after 2001 are made with OBD2 (On Board Diagnostics 2) software that still changes for some cars (CAN etc) up to almost present day (I beleive) I'm not a mechanic but that's my basic understanding.

Ebay and other sites generally list the vehicle compatibility of them. They will likely save hundreds of pounds for anyone who is even vaguely spanner wise and willing to get their hands dirty, Best get one before you need it - they are not expensive.

hi rabid what make and model is the one you have.

Ross tech, vagcom

Cost me £300, but it does a list of cars as long as your arm, I have used it three times in anger, injectors, turbo boost pressure (mice had chewed a vacuum pipe) and air mass meter.

I reset the service light after servicing the car so it's already paid for itself, and still holds its value if I sold it.

what car do you have the fault with?

vagcom/vcds is good, can also get vcds lite license for about £70, download the software and buy a cable from ebay and connect to laptop... can also get a free version that will list fault codes

older vauxhalls could do the paper clip test and later models holding two pedals at a time, makes the eml light flash, match the number of flashes to a fault code listed on many owners forums

handy cheap fault code reader, does the job for basic stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U581-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Scan-Tool-Engine-Car-Fault-Code-Reader-EOBD-OBD2-UK-/262522427911?hash=item3d1f8e5a07:g:76UAAOSwEzxYRTDv

The vehicle is a 2007 ford ranger.

The fault light has always been for egr valve which i am told is the most common fault on modern engines.

I want a reader to check that its the same fault for peace of mind and to save cost of repeated visits just to be told it is the same fault.

Had egr valve stripped and cleaned but fault light has come back on.

I am now looking towards having egr blanked off.

Thank you to everyone for their input.

The vehicle is a 2007 ford ranger.

The fault light has always been for egr valve which i am told is the most common fault on modern engines.

I want a reader to check that its the same fault for peace of mind and to save cost of repeated visits just to be told it is the same fault.

Had egr valve stripped and cleaned but fault light has come back on.

I am now looking towards having egr blanked off.

Thank you to everyone for their input.

I will have a look on my vagcom/CDs and see if it doe the ranger 07, never checked.

If you blank the egg you will need to reset engine management light on the dash as it will show as a fault I believe.