Hind Limb Weakness In 8 Year Old

I have a bearded collie/greyhound lurcher now 8 1/2 years old for the last 6 months, noticed starting to struggle getting up, not running as well and lost muscle in her hind legs (also now putting weight on even though have reduced her feed)

Had xrays done as the knee as a pronounced bump but they found nothing. Now on metacam daily and having hydrotherapy with 3 30 min walks per day. However there appears to be no improvement, still stiff getting up. Getting into the car. And the vet now thinks it might be spinal? (Consultant was mentioned) not herself at all and tbh dont want her on the amount of metacam shes on long term (tried codeine and she was stoned ?)

Any ideas what else may help? We are doing heat therapy, massage and she has always had joint supplimemts and fish.

Or if theres a good greyhound vet in the northwest near st.helens

Thanks

Be careful giving Metacam every day pal, I was advised the same...only it didn't agree with him so they switched to Previcox...he was dead within 8 months with kidney failure. Loads of similar stories on the net that I didn't see til afterwards, do some research on it, if I could turn the clock back I'd give it him only when he was having a bad day...certainly not daily.

Be careful giving Metacam every day pal, I was advised the same...only it didn't agree with him so they switched to Previcox...he was dead within 8 months with kidney failure. Loads of similar stories on the net that I didn't see til afterwards, do some research on it, if I could turn the clock back I'd give it him only when he was having a bad day...certainly not daily.

I dont want her on it but when shes not shes alot worse. Heaving herself up on her front legs. Only been on it daily now about 6 weeks and shes due a blood test soon. Its strange its like when she gets up she has pins and needles in her legs and shes holding them close together. But lost alot ofuscle on her back leg, she gone from having 3 hour walks and longer to 15-30 min walks.

Sounds like a possible spinal cord compression have theydone an x ray of the spine? is there a tender area along the back?

could be multiple causes x ray a good starter

No just the back legs (and we didnt get to see the xrays which i thought was strange even though i asked) the vet doing her hydro does feel it maybe the middle of her back and looking at her today compared to pictures a year ago shes not has flat backed. Back there thursday for another session will discuss this with her.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...