Beardie Vs Collie

Is there border in that beardie?

I dont think there is but i didnt breed her so there may be some down the line.

seen beardie x borders like it, Neal summed up the few lurchers iv seen,

Don't beardies work upright with less eye? Or are your borders the hill type?

Is there border in that beardie?

I dont think there is but i didnt breed her so there may be some down the line.
seen beardie x borders like it, Neal summed up the few lurchers iv seen,

Don't beardies work upright with less eye? Or are your borders the hill type?

Ours are all fell dogs apart from a bitch i have that is an eye dog. Fell dogs are sort of like huntaways in the sense they bark a lot and are good drivers but unlike huntaways they will get past the sheep to turn them.

• Like 2

Bird: the problem is they all vary so much. That's compounded for me by the fact that when I look back at the lurchers I used to have (starting 26 years ago and ending 11 years ago) I'm no longer sure if their temperament was because of their breeding or because I wasn't as calm as I am now (parenthood and all that jazz!).

I had a collie x whippet who was so easily spooked that I remember one occassion when either my landlord or I shouted some obsenity at Dirty Den on tv and she ran and hid under my bed and wouldn't come out for ages. If you stopped suddenly while out walking she'd scream like she'd been kicked. It was so embarrassing as she came across as one of those dogs who was always being punished but I really did try to treat her with kid gloves. She was only my second lurcher and I stupidly made the mistake of thinking a timid pup would be more of a one man dog...the breeder had even named her Shy-Sky which gives you some indication of what she was like from scratch. (She was sired by one of Hancock's collies (Richard Jones x Katie so 3/4 border 1/4 beardie) out of a racing whippet which was 1/4 greyhound).

The problem I find with my kelpies is that, because they work it all out for themselves, I tend to give them less instructions. As a result, when you do need to correct them they wonder what the hell's going on..."You don't normally complain when I do whatever I want." Even then I'm so much more laid back now that I'm still likely to think, "Oh well you're probably right." :D

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

Have you any pics of your Fell Dogs, ask your Father does he know Eddie Mcdonaugh from Lancashire, he,s a good mate of mine and he works straight beardies, cracking hard type of dogs he keeps excellent on both sheep and cattle, he has a big strong dog called Lancashire Drover. regards collie john.

• Like 1

Have you any pics of your Fell Dogs, ask your Father does he know Eddie Mcdonaugh from Lancashire, he,s a good mate of mine and he works straight beardies, cracking hard type of dogs he keeps excellent on both sheep and cattle, he has a big strong dog called Lancashire Drover. regards collie john.

3FA53BF6-4B3A-4034-A2B4-2A23CE771716_zps

0196BFAA-FD24-4CAD-910A-C9E69EF6D122_zps

7EF235AB-2F2E-49B3-82F4-6906F9AB2C77_zps

The big black and tan is a huntaway, the scruffy pointy eard bitch is a fell dog i trained for a lad i work with.

F7504986-F8E6-4274-9287-85A7A5B98154_zps

CA87BE6D-16FB-413F-AAE2-73C52FC24182_zps

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes theres no certain type just bred for a job.

• Like 4

Bird: the problem is they all vary so much. That's compounded for me by the fact that when I look back at the lurchers I used to have (starting 26 years ago and ending 11 years ago) I'm no longer sure if their temperament was because of their breeding or because I wasn't as calm as I am now (parenthood and all that jazz!).

I had a collie x whippet who was so easily spooked that I remember one occassion when either my landlord or I shouted some obsenity at Dirty Den on tv and she ran and hid under my bed and wouldn't come out for ages. If you stopped suddenly while out walking she'd scream like she'd been kicked. It was so embarrassing as she came across as one of those dogs who was always being punished but I really did try to treat her with kid gloves. She was only my second lurcher and I stupidly made the mistake of thinking a timid pup would be more of a one man dog...the breeder had even named her Shy-Sky which gives you some indication of what she was like from scratch. (She was sired by one of Hancock's collies (Richard Jones x Katie so 3/4 border 1/4 beardie) out of a racing whippet which was 1/4 greyhound).

The problem I find with my kelpies is that, because they work it all out for themselves, I tend to give them less instructions. As a result, when you do need to correct them they wonder what the hell's going on..."You don't normally complain when I do whatever I want." Even then I'm so much more laid back now that I'm still likely to think, "Oh well you're probably right." :D

good answer neal, i am like you bit more calmer as ive got older, not as bad though , but i aint going change that much now at 64 lol. and having dog like a kelpie x grey or pure kelpe , one that can think for it self not bad thing really :thumbs: . it better than alot of collie /and there xs that are constantly looking at you for instruction , it can where a bit thin over time. yeh nice to have a dog what ever the breed that think for it self :yes:

• Like 1

Someone on here once said if your stood on a cliff and tell the dogs to jump,the border will go straight over,the beardie will wait for you to go first. Though that was quite good.

Do you use yours on cattle as well blackdog.

As a rule no i dont because ive always been told you will ruin a good sheepdog with cows so i dont. But i whent lambing at a farm a few years ago and the dog ended up helping move cattle and he was fine with them he turned the odd heifer that tryed to make a break for it.

ive a few sheep that could ruin a good sheepdog lol you thinking of chucking mac over that beardie? could be a nice litter mate :thumbs:

Someone on here once said if your stood on a cliff and tell the dogs to jump,the border will go straight over,the beardie will wait for you to go first. Though that was quite good.

As a rule no i dont because ive always been told you will ruin a good sheepdog with cows so i dont. But i whent lambing at a farm a few years ago and the dog ended up helping move cattle and he was fine with them he turned the odd heifer that tryed to make a break for it.

ive a few sheep that could ruin a good sheepdog lol you thinking of chucking mac over that beardie? could be a nice litter mate :thumbs:

Yes i know lol them soays nearly broke my lal bitch's spirit i should have fetched the big dog if i knew they were going to be like that and just dog them until they go soft.

I dont think mac will ever get his leg over tbh he keeps me happy but i wouldnt say he's worthy of breeding from. Patch on the other hand depending on what he turns out like may, but i dont want to say to much incase i jinx it lol.

• Like 1