A Week Near The Water

Last week my mate Kev and I, went to Vicki’s, one of my permissions on invitation (over 800 acres in total) for 8 days, we took the camping gear, generator, freezers, ferrets ,long nets, purse nets, the boat, and my two dogs. We camped on the banks of the Murray River on part of the permission.

First few days it rained, all we did was fish of the bank under cover; the Cod were biting so that was a bonus,

Once the weather cleared, we were at it with the ferrets by day, and the spotlight by night, this was Zips first time in the light, I opted to run her and the brown bitch without the slips as both dogs recall and heel are pretty good, and this is the way I like to do it, so it was a great opportunity to start perfecting this method.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well young Zip (just turned 11 mths) behaved and responded to voice command not chasing until the command was given (most of the time) the brown bitch is an old hand and was a good aid. There is quite a few fox’s in the area and it was good to see zip display eagerness to chase them, it was only my discouragement that stopped her (I will wait till she matures a bit then rune her with the brown bitch on them) I worked them sparingly in the light and focused mainly on the day time ferreting so as not to over work them, a keen eye was monitoring how she was travelling and her workload was adjusted as needed.

It was a lot of fun watching the dogs work, and there was some spectacular chases and catches (always when you’re not filming ffs) the amount of experience the pup gained will be invaluable in the future

We didn’t get huge numbers and ended the week with 117 rabbits in the freezer, I sell them for $10 dollars each to one guy who buys as many as I can catch, dead, gutted, with fur on frozen, it payed for the trip and a few dollars for the back pocket, we had a ball and can’t wait to do it again in November.

Below is a video of some of the land and ferreting we did, as well as some photos of camp, and fishing, hope you enjoy it. A.T.B Cheers guys.

• Like 15

Sounds a good time was had by all, I envy you boys out there with all your space, I sometimes think our little island will sink it's so crowded !

Ten dollars a rabbit, sounds bloody good money to me, I must start looking at shipping abroad !

Sounds a good time was had by all, I envy you boys out there with all your space, I sometimes think our little island will sink it's so crowded !

Ten dollars a rabbit, sounds bloody good money to me, I must start looking at shipping abroad !

The guy I sell them to takes them to the greyhound training tracks sells them for 15 they put dead ones on the lure

Great video as all ways :thumbs: been calling him russell for 3 days :laugh::laugh:

Made me chuckle. Them bells are a saver in that grass. I feel naked with out me bells never go with out them.

They are a handy part of kit. I use them more in the spring and when I’m not too lazy to put them on.

Glad you enjoyed it Enjoy mate a.t.b

Had to look up the exchange rate that is a good price for a rabbit and another good video thrown in as well. :thumbs:

The butchers wont buy them any more, because they have to be inspected and stamped, to costly. The greyhound owners training their pups and runners, still put dead gutted with fur on, on the lure and feed them to the dogs after.

Glad you enjoyed it mate atb

• Like 1

Do many eat them around you ?

It's funny, everyone I know eats them, not sure if they like them, or because they get them from me for nothing.

The trouble is the butchers when they have to buy them have to sell them for at least $20 a pair to make any money, so beef and lamb is cheaper how f stupid is that.

I love them, but I only eat 1/2 to 3/4 grown beautiful.

• Like 4

I know what you mean I have given a few away but not sure if people actually like them or not as you say. To be honest I am not a massive fan but I keep trying different recipes. I think the best I have had so far was a deboned one then rolled with stuffing filling and lined with bacon. Tiercel put it up once and that was dam nice.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/263226-stuffed-rolled-rabbit/

Other than that I am still looking for the perfect recipe.

But I like to eat what I catch and obviously the dogs and ferrets help out

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

Do many eat them around you ?

I forgot to mention, I bleed the ones I'm going to eat as soon as they hit the net, I neck them with a knife and break their neck almost at the same time hold them outstretched until bled. it makes them better tasting imo