• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless of course the land is already cleared

It does in west yorks too.

My mate lives in town centre, his garden is only 7 yards long by 5 yards wide, he has a 30-06, for stalking and Scotland, am sure they never cleared any of that, they took the paid stalking as reason

that sound good to me Shropshire dan can not be doing with all the fuss of land checked again.

You still need one piece of land "cleared" for the calibre, even on an open ticket as your good reason.

And Rusty - yes it's only Scotland that don't have closed tockets.

that sound good to me Shropshire dan can not be doing with all the fuss of land checked again.

You still need one piece of land "cleared" for the calibre, even on an open ticket as your good reason.

• Like 1

Yes, but if the land was already cleared, it wouldn't matter if it was an open or closed ticket. And if it wasn't, he'd still have to get it checked.

Right pain in the bum.

I don't think that is correct, the idea of an open cert is the you make the decision as to whether the land is suitable or not.

I have several rifles up to 30/06 and i know full well none of them have been "cleared" by plod for some of my calibres. It has never been an issue with Lancs or anyone else i know in other counties. I just put a variation in for whatever calibre i want, tell them what the intended use is and my cert comes back with the rifle added. Never ever been questioned about where i am going with it, because that is my decision as an open cert holder.

OP just put your variation in along with your "good reason" fox and aolq or whatever it is and wait for your cert to come back with .17 hornet added. Good choice by the way. :yes:

I don't think that is correct, the idea of an open cert is the you make the decision as to whether the land is suitable or not.

I have several rifles up to 30/06 and i know full well none of them have been "cleared" by plod for some of my calibres. It has never been an issue with Lancs or anyone else i know in other counties. I just put a variation in for whatever calibre i want, tell them what the intended use is and my cert comes back with the rifle added. Never ever been questioned about where i am going with it, because that is my decision as an open cert holder.

OP just put your variation in along with your "good reason" fox and aolq or whatever it is and wait for your cert to come back with .17 hornet added. Good choice by the way. :yes:

I know what the idea of an open certificate is. Agreed it is so we can make our own decision where is safe or not, but you still have to have an initial bit of land suitbale for the calibre.

Maybe they do it different in Lancs, but I've been with the Met and Dyfed-Powys and on renewal they both want to see one piece of land you have permission to shoot over.

21. To acquire or possess firearms or ammunition under Section 1 of the Firearms Act 1968, you have to provide evidence that you have a good reason to do so. This applies to the grant, renewal or variation of a firearm certificate. This evidence can take several forms: permission to shoot over land or membership of a target shooting club, or a booking or invitation to go deer stalking are examples, but these are not exhaustive.

22. Please provide the address of one area of land where you have permission to shoot, together with the name, address and telephone number of the person who has given you that permission or the details of a Home Office approved club of which you are a full member. NB: You will not necessarily be limited to shooting over that individual piece of land or at that club.

That is also BASC's take on things.

Either way, if in doubt, check.

I know what the idea of an open certificate is. Agreed it is so we can make our own decision where is safe or not, but you still have to have an initial bit of land suitbale for the calibre.

Maybe they do it different in Lancs, but I've been with the Met and Dyfed-Powys and on renewal they both want to see one piece of land you have permission to shoot over.

21. To acquire or possess firearms or ammunition under Section 1 of the Firearms Act 1968, you have to provide evidence that you have a good reason to do so. This applies to the grant, renewal or variation of a firearm certificate. This evidence can take several forms: permission to shoot over land or membership of a target shooting club, or a booking or invitation to go deer stalking are examples, but these are not exhaustive.

22. Please provide the address of one area of land where you have permission to shoot, together with the name, address and telephone number of the person who has given you that permission or the details of a Home Office approved club of which you are a full member. NB: You will not necessarily be limited to shooting over that individual piece of land or at that club.

Of course you have to provide details of one piece of land at renewal but it doesn't have to be cleared for any particular calibre, you simply have to have permision to shoot there.

Of course you have to provide details of one piece of land at renewal but it doesn't have to be cleared for any particular calibre, you simply have to have permision to shoot there.

It does in the Met or Dyfed-Powys.

It does in the Met or Dyfed-Powys.

Unlucky, i would think they are misinterprinting the guidance. You could for example have a 20 acre small holding and use a .22 on it and also own a .308. You have no land cleared for the .308 but get invites to stalk from friends and or payed stalking, therefore showing good reason.

My mate lives in town centre, his garden is only 7 yards long by 5 yards wide, he has a 30-06, for stalking and Scotland, am sure they never cleared any of that, they took the paid stalking as reason to own.

I think each force has different ideas am guessing they checked his reasons and were satisfied.

• Like 1