stay:

wait: let me go forward with him at heal

leave : leave object in mouth

good boy

down

up : jump

go to bed

no

go on : go forward and hunt for quarry (I also wave hand quickly when words will spook the quarry)

wheres the___? :search for item

cat

kiss :kiss: :jump up and kiss :icon_redface:

notNshake: give paw

lay down

roll over

whistle :whistling: :come back

Quiet: be silent when whining

bark: to bark on command

I will update this list when I remember them.

What does your dog understand, whether verbal or signs?

Sign the letter T with both hands...

MEANS

go and make the Tea

Not one of them got the hang of it

fecking thick spaniels arnt they? :(

Edited by k9wpg
My dogs have trained me to kick em up the arse, most of em can do it. They just piss on the kitchen floor.

There's always one :wankerzo4: :fool:

Mine know a lot of hand signals too, useful for in the field when I need to be quiet directing them to where I've spotted something.

I use most of the ones already mentioned

Over: to jump over something (obvious)

Go through (barbed wire, hole in hedge etc)

Go under (same again: self explanatory)

Hup: (get into the van or whatever)

Roll over: (handy for examining underneath if the've wired themselves)

Stand still: (also useful for when grooming or cutting claws etc: usually said in a sharp pissed off voice :laugh: )

And I'm still working on this one LOL::::"Dive! Dive! Dive!", (as in dive for cover if someone's coming LOL) :tongue2::D

Sit lie stay find go back fetch stand wait get on where is it over and under give paws beg say yes please got one that tries to say hello [well thats what it sounds like] and when in the motor get your heads down :laugh: theyve all known them commands.

Then with hand signals sit with a point of the finger lay down gesture with same finger.

Come here either open and close my hand or put both hands together.

Stay show them the flat of my hand.

Mine are with me 24/7 so they soon get the hang of all them then theres words they recognise like walk dinner biscuit other dogs and peoples names :thumbs:

Got most of the basics - sit, wait, go on, over, where is it? My little saluki x is with me 24/7 too- I' ve found over the years, you develop quite subtle signals without really meaning to: like recall, which can be wiggling fingers if she is close by, bending down a bit if she is further off and a loud whistle if she can' t see me. When I first got her, I could shout all I liked, as she disappeared over the horizon, but as time has gone by, tone of voice has become very effective- NO! (neighbour' s cat not legal quarry) really stops her in her tracks now. Never got the retrieve quite right- absolutely no interest in fetching inanimate objects. With live quarry, she retrieves her bunny unharmed to about two yards away, then kills it with one bite to the neck/ forelegs, spits it out :tongue2: and wanders off. I think I was her fifth home, so one of her previous keepers can take the credit for this weird retrieving, well that' s my excuse anyway!

I find the send back command helps loads with poor retrievers if they have to go away from you and retrace their steps to get a dropped rabbit or dummy.

And they seem to enjoy it more than throwing an object for them plus your learning em to leave on command when you first drop the rabbit/dummy and then the heel while there waiting to be sent and lastly the go command a simple little routine thats enjoyable for dog and owner ;)

I find the send back command helps loads with poor retrievers if they have to go away from you and retrace their steps to get a dropped rabbit or dummy.

And they seem to enjoy it more than throwing an object for them plus your learning em to leave on command when you first drop the rabbit/dummy and then the heel while there waiting to be sent and lastly the go command a simple little routine thats enjoyable for dog and owner ;)

How do you get them started teaching the send away or go back? I can get her looking for quarry or even a biscuit with a 'where is it', but never known how to send her out in a particular direction if she can't see or smell what she' s going out to (except with the lamp I suppose).

Apart from the usual ie down, stay, here etc, I find that most of the commands I give are ones that have arisen almost by accident. They are simply a case of using the first word or phrase that comes to mind and then that command gradually becomes the norm, whether by choice or default. Two examples are, if I'm walking along and the dog is just ahead of me and I want it to move forward I say a word which, to those who don't know what I'm saying, will probably sound as though I'm trying to speak Welsh: "gwon'n." It simply evolved because when I was walking my first dog through a wood along a narrow track, the bitch suddenly stopped in front of me. Without thinking I just said, "go on then," whch of course she didn't as she couldn't speak English :doh: , so I then tapped her back leg with my boot, no that's not a euphemism for kicking her up the *rse, I really did tap her back leg. At this point she shot foreward. The next time she did the same thing I, without thinking about it again, used the same phrase. She, being a tad cleverer than me, moved forward without a tap. Over time the phrase became shortened from, "go on then," to "gwon'n."

The second example came when a lurcher jumped up onto my lap while I was sitting on the sofa having a cup of tea. Needless to say, tea went everywhere and I, in non-dog mode, shouted, "what the f*ck*ng hell do you think you're doing, couldn't you see I had a cup of tea!" Well wouldn't anyone? Later the same day, same sofa, another cup of tea, he went to jump up again at which point I held out the cup and said, "I've got a cup of tea again," and he stopped. I continued to use the phrase to stop him from jumping up but very quickly shortened it to simply, "tea!" Having said that, since that dog, I decided in advance to use the simple "get off," as it makes so much more sense. :thumbs:

Nice one! I've evolved another thing like that for when the dogs move forward from the heel position when we're out. What started as a pissed off intake of breath prior to bellowing at them to 'heel!' has now been shortened to just the intake of breath, like sucking your teeth: that is enough to remind them to keep to heel.

Another one has been shortened from 'Here LOOK!' for when I've spotted something in cover that they may have missed: the call is now 'L,L,L,L,L,L,L,!' a sort of yodelling sound made by clacking my tongue against the roof of my mouth, but only for a few goes, if you see what I mean.

A click of the fingers has replaced the Come Here command, though that obviously only works if the're close enough to hear it: though it's surprising how good their hearing is when they think it's to their advantage! LOL The slightest whisper is enough if they think that your'e on to something!

I use the finger click too but I use it for "down" accompanied by pointing to the ground. I can then use pointing if I want to do it silently eg when ferreting or click when they're close. Come to think of it, I've sometimes used the click at a long distance just by holding my arm up and miming a click. It's amazing how good dogs are at picking up our body language, if only we could do it as well as them.

f**k off, I use this one when they've rolled in shit or just had a rat and try and jump all over you and lick your face when your not expecting it. Dick ed, when they do something stupid. You little *&^% (add your own 4 letter word here) when they do something naughty :thumbs:

My terrier at about 9 weeks would sit to the word a hand signal and a whistle. He's 10 now and I just talk to him like a mate really and he does what he wants unless its something I don't want him to.

How do you get them started teaching the send away or go back? I can get her looking for quarry or even a biscuit with a 'where is it', but never known how to send her out in a particular direction if she can't see or smell what she' s going out to (except with the lamp I suppose).

Sending back is easiest just start walking on a couple of feet from a dropped rabbit or dummy then just build the distance in a day or two you can get em to go back a good way i also lob whatever there to retrieve in thick cover to get em into cover at a young age.

Sending them on is not as easy some collie blooded dogs do it naturally and get whats required on there own with little teaching other types get the idea when theyve been encouraged a few times to something sat out feeding or on a good scent they soon click that you sending them on gets em a run :thumbs: