Pure Saluki

Have to agree with Dogfox on some of his comments, is the pure saluki the best hare dog? What do you determine as best? A few years back I once looked after a dog for a pal for 6 months ( would have been longer but he got let early due to good behaviour) Anyway his dog was a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull and would take a Hare before it bent twice and retrieve back to hand alive just as quick, same dog took all quarry just as convincing.

Iv'e seen pure Salukis run hare, which would I prefer to watch coarse? The Saluki all day long, nothing better than to watch a graceful dog on a good long coarse.

It's all down to what you want from a dog, me? I would want a pot filler, but the coursing enthusiast what does he want? The Saluki all day long.

Wind v speed either way the goods end up in the pot ( hopefully)

Both breeds excel one another in their traits, don't knock one for another as both have great attributes to offer :thumbs:

The one thing that's always got me thinking regarding the slower Saluki blooded dogs. They have loads of stamina no doubt about that but more often than not a course with one of those types will be a gruelling run. A faster dog will usually catch the Hare much quicker and even though it won't have as much stamina it kinda negates the stamina advantage of the other dog as it's not running as long.

Well, I know one thing for certain, the 3/4 1/4 bull I was boarding never had the wind or stamina to do 3 quick hares in succession, it blew out quick, but ran right he was 100% all round. Whereas the Saluki...........There we go back to horses for courses :thumbs:

I've caught 3 Hares on a walk out with my old 3/4 Collie x Greyhound, two of those were good runs and the other was caught in short order. I'm sure if that quarter was Saluki instead of Bull or Collie the stamina would be much greater.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,   Cant run in smal

Ghostly Ease?, yea I see where you coming from with that phrase mate, when they flat out in pursuit they make it look so effortless, really graceful, a real pleasure to watch, kill or no kill, its the

listen it's simple , The Fact you only said you had not got a running dog after I put the offer out there shows your a talker like I already stated. I'm still willing to run your dogs with my dogs. On

Posted Images

slow? Sliw don't catch much at all, think slow a misconception they deffo not slow especially the stronger ones

Of course they are not slow, it's all relative isn't it.

Whats relative is the fact that the majority of hares do not reside on the minority of land that suits the Saluki most.

slow? Sliw don't catch much at all, think slow a misconception they deffo not slow especially the stronger ones

Whats relative is the fact that the majority of hares do not reside on the minority of land that suits the Saluki most.

There we have it, so according to you a stronger dog is needed fro the ground over here? Or are you trying to say most fields are not big enough?

There we have it, so according to you a stronger dog is needed fro the ground over here? Or are you trying to say most fields are not big enough?

What im saying is the Saluki infused runner as no equal on open ground with multiple slips,the first and second slips and many a lurcher will outrun and outdo the best of the Arabic mongrels,then the saluki hybrids take it to a level that nothing else can reach.On the majority of the land the hare resides the Saluki does not have the luxury of the open landscape that benefits the mutt the most and fares with far less distinction against the same type of lurchers that it mullers elsewhere.

Salukis have been clocked at over 40 mph, the way they run is deceptive, people presume they're slow but I can assure you they're not. I've seen greyhounds that are slow compared to other greyhounds and so comparing a pedigree saluki with a crossbred lurcher that has predominantly greyhound blood is unfair, it's really hard to judge the speed of any dog when it's running an hare or rabbit, especially when the dog could be half a mile away.

• Like 1

Salukis have been clocked at over 40 mph, the way they run is deceptive, people presume they're slow but I can assure you they're not. I've seen greyhounds that are slow compared to other greyhounds and so comparing a pedigree saluki with a crossbred lurcher that has predominantly greyhound blood is unfair, it's really hard to judge the speed of any dog when it's running an hare or rabbit, especially when the dog could be half a mile away.

Many a bullx lurcher travels at greater speed than that,especially when being thrown from a moving 4x4.

Come on now we both now they're not as quick as most 3/4 Greyhound Lurchers. I've been watching a clip of this heavy Saluki type dog called Red on YouTube. It's given a kick up and doesn't even begin to pressure the Hare so they labelled the creature an "Early season monster" aka my dog just ain't fast enough.

Come on now we both now they're not as quick as most 3/4 Greyhound Lurchers. I've been watching a clip of this heavy Saluki type dog called Red on YouTube. It's given a kick up and doesn't even begin to pressure the Hare so they labelled the creature an "Early season monster" aka my dog just ain't fast enough.

That dog knew his trade, and that particular hare was above the average size of an adult hare, an equal sporting match of a course

That dog knew his trade, and that particular hare was above the average size of an adult hare, an equal sporting match of a course

Equal course my arse, it was a kick up and the dog didn't look close to catching. Lots of whizz bangers would have had that Hare for breakfast.

Equal course my arse, it was a kick up and the dog didn't look close to catching. Lots of whizz bangers would have had that Hare for breakfast.

Wonder why they don't take whizz bangers down there then eh, and as for fast dogs, and close slips if you've done much coursing you'll know a hare can take off like a rocket from their form when they need to
  • Like 1

Wonder why they don't take whizz bangers down there then eh, and as for fast dogs, and close slips if you've done much coursing you'll know a hare can take off like a rocket from their form when they need to

Of course, that's why they give them something called law. It seems like some of these coursers are no different to folk who are on the mooch and put up a Hare.

cant believe this is still on going I have had both. my pure dog luke lamped and coursed only hare and rabbit and was a gooden.my head always says line bred. my heart says pure. whatever your view one thing is fact(and I don't mean freaks hear )if you want to course and catch hares consistently and properly at proper time of year a good dollop of saluki is vital fact.

• Like 3