Fox Versus The .22Lr

Firstly not my preferred choice against Charlie , but the chance appeared today.

I was out for a mooch about with the CZ452 after a bunnie or two on the stubbles , lovely day for an interrupted walk . As I approached a piece of rough shrub cover about 4 acres or so , I saw the teltale flash of reddy/ orange of a fox disappearing into cover.

I backed into a hedgeline and full shade about 40yrds from the scrub and started to squeak , well you never know your luck I thought. To my amazement after only calling 3 times a fox appeared on a ditchside at the edge of the cover looking straight at me , or trying to work out what the squealing was. To cut a long story short he dropped to the Cz452 with 42 grain of Winchester .22lr ..

As I started my post not my preference for fox control , but it certainly did the job today .

• Like 2

I use rimfires and the .22lr regularly against the fox.

When used appropriately it is easily capable and often the calibre I reach for!

Why wouldn't it work at your stated 40yards and/or what would be your preference for fox control at that distance?

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I use rimfires and the .22lr regularly against the fox.

When used appropriately it is easily capable and often the calibre I reach for!

Why wouldn't it work at your stated 40yards and/or what would be your preference for fox control at that distance?

:thumbs:

May not of come across well , yes great at this range , what I had meant to say was if I was going out foxing I wouldn't reach for the .22 first , well maybe now I will though ... :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well up close & personal any 22rf is good to go, especially in urban Fox control, I can't see me touching

off my 22.250 in a suburban back garden! May rattle the TV aerials?

However open country sheep patrol at 150y plus is another thing altogether, clearly 'horses for courses'

seems we are all singing from the same hymn sheet at last (praise the lord).