Bull Terrier X Terrier

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well FairPlay lads, I,ve owned and worked terriers since it was legal to dig and kill everything and anything, right upto the sorry state we find ourselves in today and I,m struggling to know what the

The trials were never about drawing the game,it was about working the game for a time limit in complete silence with judges listening for the slightest whimper.

I hope no one puts up a copy of the rules. It's a very private part of history in the Irish working dog game. Regarding the trials not being a game test ? I was going to stay out of a silly thread,

Well the old Badger trials was a similar concept so highly likely, you're in the states so I'm assuming by Bullterrier you mean APBT or you talking about the real Bullterrier?

The trials were never about drawing the game,it was about working the game for a time limit in complete silence with judges listening for the slightest whimper.
You think that's an automatic sign of gameness? Even some game Bulldogs sing in bouts...

Can anybody post the rules of the old Badger Trials? A test for a dog no doubt but dogs were getting worked harder in the field than in the trials....

How were they getting worked harder in the field than in the shore?
Because six minutes is hardly the same as a real dig the trials were good but they were more a place to meet like minded people and get a certificate not a real test

But strong dogs were not used at a real dig by terrier men(except by the cowboys).

Who said anything about at a dig?

Well the old Badger trials was a similar concept so highly likely, you're in the states so I'm assuming by Bullterrier you mean APBT or you talking about the real Bullterrier?

You think that's an automatic sign of gameness? Even some game Bulldogs sing in bouts...

Can anybody post the rules of the old Badger Trials? A test for a dog no doubt but dogs were getting worked harder in the field than in the trials....

Because six minutes is hardly the same as a real dig the trials were good but they were more a place to meet like minded people and get a certificate not a real test

But strong dogs were not used at a real dig by terrier men(except by the cowboys).

That is not the question I asked you DF.

Not saying you did but there was stricter testing taking place outside of the trials on Gamedogs over here.

Not saying you did but there was stricter testing taking place outside of the trials on Gamedogs over here.

You said in the field I presumed you meant out in the field,if you meant in the pit,that was done over here two.

I never said it was a sign of gameness,just stating the way it was run.I have also seen strong dogs in the field that were very good at there work and would on occasion make a bit of noise,more through frustration than anything else.

Yep frustration can make them sing in the box too, have you got the old trials rules anywhere?

You said in the field I presumed you meant out in the field,if you meant in the pit,that was done over here two.

I'm on about in the field.

DF I dont understand your statement they were tested harder in the field.Im not having a go at you Im just curious.

I'm talking about Pitdogs, plenty used them on quarry in the field as well as in the box back in the day.

I understand now.This practice was scorned on by trial men and pit men,using a strong dog at the end of a dig proved nothing about the dog most curs will draw in the daylight(sheep dogs,German Shepard's,Springers,Kerry Blues)to name just a few.The other practice letting them mix it on the sod,most just did not like it or do it,it proved nothing either,again most curs will engage in this practice if let.

• Like 3

I could see how something like that could be different than in the field but I am trying to find out if anyone of you all have ever seen anything like the x the guy told me about that could be counted on to draw game as big as a bobcat or coyote on it owne

If the dog was German hunting terrier or jagd same thing , crossed with a pit, staff ect I'd find it hard to believe the off spring was only 20 lbs as a jagd is about 20 lbs or more in most cases therefore the off spring of that cross would be heavier unless it was well diluted

DF I dont understand your statement they were tested harder in the field.Im not having a go at you Im just curious.

I'm talking about Pitdogs, plenty used them on quarry in the field as well as in the box back in the day.

I understand now.This practice was scorned on by trial men and pit men,using a strong dog at the end of a dig proved nothing about the dog most curs will draw in the daylight(sheep dogs,German Shepard's,Springers,Kerry Blues)to name just a few.The other practice letting them mix it on the sod,most just did not like it or do it,it proved nothing either,again most curs will engage in this practice if let.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

We have our wires crossed, I'm not talking about at the end of a dig either. Better not be said tbh.

At the end of the day the hardest test of all was against another dog.

Edited by DogFox123