Strange Behaviour

I've built a proper ferret court for myself and my hob has started nipping me if I sit inside with them for a while.

Not aggressive, but hard enough to break the skin on occasions, I'm wondering if it's a dominance thing. I've been tapping his nose and telling him no each time he does it but it's not stopping him. I can pick him up as normal without him doing it, it's only when I sit in with them that he starts, but he'll nip my clothes as well which is no fun if I'm sitting and my crotch is in range! :icon_redface: Anybody else ever have this happen?

I'm saying that yes I know when they are playing, which I think is what Gnipper was asking, but this is when I'm just sitting quietly. He'll come over for a sniff then nip my hand or arm, or trouser leg, whatever part of me is nearest. He's holding on hard enough to break the skin if I try to pull away but obviously he's not biting with anywhere near the full force he could do so I'm at a loss what's going on with him. It's only happened in the last month since they have been in the court, I never had a problem while they were in a hutch.

I'd go back to basics with the nip training. Like any animal any training will need reinforcing over time. The ferret has just been moved into a new situation and living area, you need to show him that it doesn't mean there are also a new set of rules.. :thumbs:

He seems to have settled back down now, I've been sitting in with them for a few minutes each day and he's not nipped for the last couple. He never did it when I picked him up either, just when I was sitting in there with them, so I'm pretty sure it was a territorial thing.

I'm amazed at the difference in them since I put them in the court, I turfed it and the place is like a swiss cheese in a month, tunnels everywhere. They are noticably more muscular and fit, so I've got high hopes for the new season.

So nice to here on the forum that ferrets are now being housed and fed property.

Come a long way from bread and milk and living in a carry box.

tsteven there's a fella on the forum that makes ferret wheels, something your ferrets might enjoy.

• Like 1

he wants to drag you into the bed and bone you mate..like he would the Jills . :thumbs:

if Steve was honest with himself, he would admit that secretly he wants that too :diablo:

Well, at 62 I have to admit the idea of ANYTHING fancying me is novel, but I've seen the way he treats jills, and I'm not into the caveman thing at all. If he was to bring me the odd chicken wing or rabbit leg however........... :icon_redface:

• Like 2

he wants to drag you into the bed and bone you mate..like he would the Jills . :thumbs:

if Steve was honest with himself, he would admit that secretly he wants that too :diablo:

Well, at 62 I have to admit the idea of ANYTHING fancying me is novel, but I've seen the way he treats jills, and I'm not into the caveman thing at all. If he was to bring me the odd chicken wing or rabbit leg however........... :icon_redface:

62?? maybe that's what it is then, he thinks you're a giant chicken wing!! :laugh:

• Like 1

62?? maybe that's what it is then, he thinks you're a giant chicken wing!! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cheeky sod :tongue2: