I run a shooting estate both driven shooting and deer stalking rights. We are starting to take out clients stalking and thinking of getting a dog specifically for stalking, already have Spaniels, Labs and setters for grouse counting.

Peoples thoughts on the best dogs to use?

Are you stalking open hill or woodland, when it comes to following up, as in blood scenting, a lab will do anything you need, however most people go with pointer breeds, it's down to your own preference, I have tried pointers, and love them, I have tried teckle terriers and love them, I have seen a jack Russell follow up on blood, and it was spot on, in truth any dog will follow up on blood, it's not a task for a select few, most dogs I have handled will do it, for me if you have a particularly quiet Labrador, one that is spacialy aware when you are walking, good at heal and will sit quietly, you are half way there,

• Like 1

My Lab has great nose but a bit on the hyper don't think he would be steady enough. Looking at HWV mainly woodland stalking open fields around them. So far we haven't needed a dog, but thinking if we take clients out possibility might do in the future. Love pointing breeds but not heard much about HWV as stalking dogs

post-81636-0-08768100-1469821159_thumb.jpeg

Yep Labrador will do the job . Apart from a couple of days on pigeons and one day on driven right at the end of last season she has done only deer work . This season she will be doing a lot more retrieving on driven and pigeon days ...can't wait ..

• Like 2

Took my Lab on as a rescue. Previous owners had beaten him into a nervous wreck doesn't trust men much and will only let a man stand next to him if I am there up until a few months ago he is obviously now trusting me enough to allow some men touch him now which is great. He is 3 had his first part season picking up last he and has a fantastic nose not sure if he would be steady enough on deer, he tends to hunt and retrieve well but once all birds picked he has a habit of going of on a wander but a lot if his problems are down to previous life.

Can you use a Labrador to track and still pick up birds. I am mainly a spaniel person this boy is my first Lab but am impressed with his scenting ability