Nurture Or Nature

Many a good dog ruined by idiots. Including my first dog ruined by me.

Equally there will be dogs out there with sub standard breeding which have been made into decent enough pot fillers by good dog men.

But you can't polish a turd and I firmly believe some dogs just ain't got what it takes no matter how good a dog man has got the lead.

So in answer to your question I think you need a good dose of each. Topped off with a good splash of luck.

How did you ruin your first dog Gaz?

Impatient, short tempered, never built a bond. Didn't help he was a saluki greyhound and I was clueless.

• Like 2

It is the easiest thing in the world to ruin a good dog, knowing how much the dog needs and how much is too much requires an ability to read the dog. very few people have this, especially when the dog is young. I've f**k up more dogs than most people have owned.

• Like 1

Equally there will be dogs out there with sub standard breeding which have been made into decent enough pot fillers by good dog men.

But you can't polish a turd and I firmly believe some dogs just ain't got what it takes no matter how good a dog man has got the lead.

So in answer to your question I think you need a good dose of each. Topped off with a good splash of luck.

Impatient, short tempered, never built a bond. Didn't help he was a saluki greyhound and I was clueless.
Fair play to you pal we can only learn from our mistakes if we're honest with ourselves and sounds like you've done just that :thumbs:

Reckon you hit the nail on the head with your first post too

Edited by BGD
  • Like 1

Fair play to you pal we can only learn from our mistakes if we're honest with ourselves and sounds like you've done just that :thumbs:

I learnt lots from that dog mate. He only lived 12 months. Killed himself when he hit a tree lamping. Was a blessing in disguise really because he was a real head case and definitely had issues. But I didn't help those issues and probably created some of them.

I would of kept him all the same and done what I could with him though.

As said above he taught me a lot. Including the fact that 2" strong stuff collars aren't for saluki/greyhounds. Lol...

IMG_1292.jpg

• Like 3

Reminds me of the good days when I was extra keen and thought i knew it all. Atb.
  • Like 1

I learnt lots from that dog mate. He only lived 12 months. Killed himself when he hit a tree lamping. Was a blessing in disguise really because he was a real head case and definitely had issues. But I didn't help those issues and probably created some of them.

I would of kept him all the same and done what I could with him though.

As said above he taught me a lot. Including the fact that 2" strong stuff collars aren't for saluki/greyhounds. Lol...

IMG_1292.jpg

We learn the most from the awkward feckers :yes: sure he'd be a different dog if you had your time with him again.

You come across a real genuine down to earth lad from your posts on here pal, fair play to you :thumbs:

State of that collar on him though :laugh:

• Like 1

Its no coincide that good Dogmen have concisely good dogs look at Fuji Jim brick etc they put the miles and hours most of us can't that said egos and over matching have ruined a lot of decent prospects

heres a quote that would probably relate to most of us and to the lads you speak of...

Fuji best dog man I know he gets the best out of his dogs and that's in every aspect of working his dogs. Wether it's rabbits, hares, deer etc,,, that boots dog has done things you only ever read off. The dogs a freak and lads who have been out with him know what I mean..

There other men such has Tomo he's another who can get a dog to there limits had my best nights with him and one of the best dogs I've ever seen work.

The quote that relates to top dog men...

D982679B-68FA-4B71-BEA7-9F87C2FC0F2B_zps

Fuji dog, Boots

434CD06C-4361-4B5E-884C-EADFF84FBC2A_zps

• Like 6

Nice to see an honest comment, I did exactly the same and I am sure most lads have done the same but would never admit it

Atb

• Like 1

My dog has or had the potential be a cracker with great drive and ability. But I feel I has mishandled him from day one and its taken me 2 1/2 years to see the light. I have been way too soft at times and also too harsh at others. I have moved the goal posts so many times the poor dog hasn't known if his coming or going. Simply because I didn't have a clear plan or an idea of what was achievable with him. BUT we are coming out the other side and the tide is turning for the better and give me another year I will have a special dog I think or at least special to me and thats what counts

But I suspect the original post is about the working and catching/hunting abilities of a dog but I also want the dog to be a pleasure and have complete control over it or as much as you can reasonably expect.

I don't care about catching a 100 rabbits I would rather catch two and have a nice calm controlled experience. I have also just twigged as I write this for the dog to be calm I need to be calm as I am worse than a highly strung jack Russel when i see a white scut bounding down the hedge row :laugh:

• Like 1

The story tells itself to who are good stock men . How many lads have the same stock working 2/3 years down the road ? Some even get rid of the dogs for the summer and buy in others cast offs for the next season. As some one once said there are Men that own dogs and then there are dogmen.

There's good and bad in all stock, these people who always have good dogs about them start with the right stock and stick at it,

Also if you go round a stockman's house everything they own is spot on dogs horses birds fowl, its a right slap in the face lol

It's just not in every dog to be the best, no matter who's schooling it...

Take aspiring young footballers, no matter how how they train, they don't all make the England squad...

You need all the ingredients to bake a cake but then it's down to the baker to weigh them correctly, mix them and cook them at the right temp and duration for the best sponge..

Folks have their own recipes..

They can finish with a decent cake but different to the next man..

No everyone can make a decent cake...

Not everyone can make a decent lurcher..

They may start with the right ingredients but they screw it up..

If your starting off, without the key ingredients and the wrong methodology, it's not going to be what you want it to be..

Nuture is key but you need nature first...

Folks have to accept they won't always have the best, or be the best..

They should strive to be the best they can be..

Well that's just what I think anyway lol ...

• Like 3

Frankel that quote about says it all I'm going too hold onto that for inspiration ?

spot on, imo it relates to a lot the dog men I know.. Travelling hundred of miles not just in a season but in a week, walking miles and miles a day up the fells in horrendous weather, training a dog every day in all weathers, lamping in cold and wet weather of back of the van or walking, keeping it up year after year even decades is a obsession. Slightly mad aswell, but I think you need that bit of madness to keep going. We probably all know someone who fits the description wether of here or personally..
  • Like 1