THE BIG ONE

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oneredtrim.... you didnt think frank warren,little jim watt or that moron steve bunce would come out beforehand and say they was washed up did you ?...nobody in the public eye will ever say that before a fight and rightly so.....but many people within and outside the game knew these 2 were shot fighters...i guess gym talk is not 100 % reliable but its certainly more honest !

The pointers you make about floyds face being different.....he is only human of course he is going to be worried when he has a train like that coming at him,but dont mistake that for fear...there are certain things that make a man a great world champion....and mayweather,the horrible little shit he is,has them all !

The fouls buiseness is a valid point...personally i felt mayweather should have had a point taken for continually ducking below the waistband....but after all said and done nothing would have changed the outcome of that fight,it was a fair result and the difference in class was clear for all to see

As we know there are things that make a great fighter...and one of them is ring generalship.craftiness,cleverness call it what you will.....hatton knows just as many tricks just look at the way in all his fights he hits and holds and anticipates the break and punches on the break,not strictly legal but hey its all part of the game.mayweather knew what he had to do on the inside and knew what he could get away with...lets be honest hatton is not the cleanest fighter in the world,but his overall ring generalship is not up to mayweathers.

As with most things mate its all opinions...and i respect yours....all the best :thumbs:

Just a quick example on a point you made above about fighters being washed up etc.....the recent khan/earl fight was a great example.....on paper earl was a great opponent,rated very highly,28/29 years old......but it is no secret that he is a shot fighter,which was proved....yes of course people say after the event he is shot,but a lot of people said it before the fight as well......exactly the same as the hatton/tszyu/castillo fights.....cheers.

The only way its not accurate is that earl was never world class...but at 29 he is washed up and khan took full advantage.....

You think the 36 year old tszyu that hatton fought was the prime tszyu that beat mitchell or zab judah ? i think not...you think the 34 year old castillo that hatton beat was the same castillo that fought cassamayor or corrales ?....they were nowhere near there prime,hence tszyu straight away retired...every fighter can only go to the well so many times,and when they are involved in real ring wars,that amount lessens....ask graham earl.....if joe calzaghe had ever been involved in real ring wars you can bet he wouldnt still be in his prime at 36 like he is.

gotta say gnash you make some very valid points.

imho ricky did still earn his shot at mayweather and had slightly more than a bigpunchers chance of winning the fight in the end the class of the big mouth showed through though.

still think ricky lost the plot a bit after the ref fell for mayweathers gamesmenship but like hatton said 'its not a tickling contest'

Really gutted for hatton, and I REALLY wanted him to win, but when Mayweather put his foot on the gas, our Ricky was found wanting. He just couldn't adapt & had no answer. Hatton is a hell of a fighter, but he just couldn't box.

Evening Gnash and onered,sorry for butting in.Heres my take,Hatton is the best light welter in the world,there isn't anyone that would seriously trouble him at the weight,including Torres,and Malinaggi.Witter isn't a great fighter,awkward yes,reasonable dig yes,but thats it.For washed up fighters look under "Vivian Harris"

Now about Tzsyu,and Castillo being shot,past it,etc,Nobody suggested that these two fighters were shot,until after the Hatton fights,i subscribe to all the boxing monthlys,and i visit quite a few of the boxing websites.None of these said these fighters weren't up to the job untill after the fights,why? to cover there blushe's.They didn't want people questioning there predictions.Lets go back to Calzaghe v Lacey,same thing,all the top fight journalists predicted a Calzaghe loss,in fact most suggested he'd be knocked out and/or seriously hurt.What did they say after there predictions went tits up? that lacey was overhyped,and over rated.

Mayweather,well he did what he had to do,he found Hattons weakness,and exploited it (Hatton lost his cool).My prediction (pre fight) was Mayweather by close decision,but i put money on Hatton to win.Hatton started well,he was beating Mayweather to the punch,and clearly unnerved Mayweather with his hand speed,and power.Mayweather dealt with this by,holding,elbowing,and continually looking at the ref (check the video) Hatton rattled Mayweather with some good shots,but couldn't follow up as the ref kept splitting them and warning Hatton for holding :blink: At one point,Hatton lands a good left,then follows with another,Mayweather backs into the ropes,with Hatton about to try and land the coup de grace,when Cortez stops in and seperates the fighters yet again.It was immediately apparent at the mid way point that Hatton was panicking,not only was he cut,but Mayweather was continually rubbing his head into the wound,and getting away with it,while Hatton was warned non stop.I think he had the right tactics too win the fight,but he couldn't get close enough,as Mayweather would wrap his arms around him,and the ref would step in.Then we have the ref spending the whole of the between round breaks in Hattons corner.When Hatton was in the corner between 9 and 10,Billy Graham tells him " this is it Ricky,we need to win these last three" Hatton changed Tactics,and charged forward,hands low trying to land the big one,the rest as they say is history.

Mayweather the best pound 4 pound fighter at this point in time? best of a bad bunch.I even had one clown tell me,"Mayweather is the best ever" :haha: When i think back to some of the great Welters of the past,i don't think Mayweather would of lived with them.

Guess we better start arguing about Hopkins v Calzaghe.Some are already saying it won't happen,me i dissagree.Hopkins had already started to promote the fight by taunting Calzaghe at the weigh in,and then coming out with his racist bullshit to the media,he is a clever businessman,and knows a bit of needle always sells tickets.Me will i'm going with Calzaghe.JMO as always.Bill :thumbs:

bill88 hatton was to close yes push him back on the ropes etc but the once mayweather was on the ropes covered up why not take a step back and let his shots go then start roughing up again to let the ref break it up but he was was to close smothering his own work...but it was a shame what happened i was truly sick...atb lamper12

Hello Bill...as usual you speak a lot of sense and i agree with much of what you say......however as regards tszyu/castillo....well they do say the last place to find out what shape a fighters in is in the press !....personally i dont go on any boxing websites or subscribe to the magazines,for that reason....the media will never blatantly discredit an opponent before a fight.....i imagine you may have traded blows yourself at some level at some stage so you will know word gets around gyms real quick,and that word is more often than not a lot more honest than you will read in a magazine !

Besides which,even if you just looked at the facts...a 36 year old kostya tszyu or a 34 year old castillo,both having been in hard wars,at a very late stage in their career.....its not hard to see they were way past their prime.....the same is about to happen with the calzaghe/hopkins fight....how old is hopkins now 43 ?....had calzaghe fought him or someone like him in their prime he would have deserved every bit of glory and recognition....but waiting till these fighters get old and simply beating a NAME...just does not cut it....in hopkins case ok he is always in great physical shape even into his 40,s...so maybe it evens up slightly...personally i see calzaghe taking a very comfortable points win if it happens.

Back to hatton/mayweather......hatton actually did better than i thought he would and i think he put on a great show......i disagree with what a lot of people are saying about fouls....it was never going to be a clean fight,none of hattons fights are clean fights...he is a rough tough brawler,we cant expect mayweather to hold his head up and hands down......hatton is a one paced pressure fighter with 1 gear....FAST !....mayweather was able to weather the storm and then go up through his own gears to get a comfortable win....hatton really now has to fight witter,which i think will be a close fight but hatton coming out victorious.....one thing i will disagree with bill....i do think mayweather is at least in the top 5 all time welters....look back to the early 80,s....can you imagine what great fights benitez/leonard/hearns against mayweather would have been.....mayweather has a great boxing brain and fantastic timing and distance,he punches hard enough and can take a shot ....but for me his adaptability and ring intelligence put him at the real top level....all the best mate. :thumbs: