Put the new dog in a crate when you are not there to supervise. Crates are not cruel - get the dog used to it by feeding it in the crate and spending time in it and letting him sleep in it.. It is not fair or safe to leave a dog muzzled. You say you do not have a basket muzzle - what does the one you do have look like? The new dog is still a stranger to your old dog. It is not fair to leave them together with one muzzled - if a fight breaks out while you are not there, the muzzled dog could be at the mercy of the other. Get yourself a crate. Look on Gumtree.

• Like 3

The kennel isn't an option and so the other would be a crate however I've just found a local service that would take him all day for me. If I'd known I'd be arranging dog sitters for him I'd have left him there. I say that jokingly I don't mind doing it because I didn't like the idea of him being muzzled and similarly to crate him when the other one isn't would seem cruel but thank you to everyone who has offered advice.

Fair play to you pal you're obviously seriously dedicated to providing the best for your mutts, it's great to see :thumbs:

Hi Dave, thank you. If I want the best out of him I have to put in the time and if necessary added expense. I've had an arguement with the wife last night because she wanted him as a pet but I have said he's a working dog. All our Springers were working dogs but great pets as well but it's funny how we are arguing over him as if he's a bloody child. It's all about balance. He's obviously got to be loved and cared for but he can also be trained to do his natural instincts. I'm looking forward to the whole thing and that's why I'm happy to learn from people here.

Arguing with the wife over the dogs, you're definitely a dogman :laugh:

I reckon with your attitude you'll end up with a cracking bond and your dog will turn out a decent wee worker for you. You don't need a world beater to have a cracking time experiencing the age old partnership between man and dog in the field and get a few bunnies for the pot as a bonus :victory:

Atb to you pal :thumbs:

• Like 1

pets at home crates are not bad price wise. Wouldn't be with out ours. You have peace of mind at night and if you leave the dog. Especially if you have two dogs. Soon get to learn its there get out of the way place as well

Either get him out beside the bike and knacker him out before you leave or get a large dog crate and lock him up whilst out.

If he chews something expensive then your going to end up shouting at him and spoiling the bond your developING with him

This is actually a really good point. So far he's starting to form a very good bond and who knows it might be the first time he's ever had any kindness. He's more mischievous if that makes sense than wanton destructive and he has so many other positive points when you consider his background that I don't want to destroy his confidence and in time he might stop it. I'm just over the bridge from you in Chepstow is the working ground good down your part of Somerset. My family are originally from Long Sutton and I went to Cannington to do my horticulture. My in laws are in Burnham so despite being Welsh people think I'm from the west country.

I struggled this last season trying to find quarry fairly local. If I managed 5-6 runs for 3-4 hours walking then that's been a good night!

I have a friend I met on here that lives not far from Long Sutton, He has a fairly decent amount of Rabbits about so I go over to him during the season ferreting. I'm moving in two weeks into north Dorset, bigish ,flat fields with even less Rabbits but the prospects for running the big dog are looking better.

My first Lurcher was a rescue. He had obviously been worked before, and knew the job better than I did!

Get the recall sorted, get him fit, then get him out on the lamp. Try and find a squatting rabbit (it crouches down into the grass when the light hits it) then walk straight at it making sure the dog has his head up not sniffing about. as soon as the rabbit runs let go of the dog's collar. If it's in him, he'll take off like a loon and snatch it up, then back with a perfect retrieve to hand! (we wish!)

Once you know the dogs keen, then make yourself a slip lead for easier slipping. After that, its up to you to just keep getting quarry in front of the dog. The more he sees the better he'll get.

Good luck with the dog and I hope all goes well!