what courses should someone be looking at doing to get their foot in the door so to speak and work within the pest control industry.

starting with basics and moving on to more advanced subjects that you can pay and do off your own back and not get involved in working for one of the leading company's out there.

any information would be appreciated thanks.

Im going on the church farm rodent course this year run by sx.

Although courses can be good, I'd say you still need practical experience before going on your own. I did a bedbug and flea course and I definitely wouldn't have been able to do a successful bedbug treatment after that if I hadn't shadowed another pest controller

• Like 1

Im going on the church farm rodent course this year run by sx.

Although courses can be good, I'd say you still need practical experience before going on your own. I did a bedbug and flea course and I definitely wouldn't have been able to do a successful bedbug treatment after that if I hadn't shadowed another pest controller

i might find it difficult to get in with a company im nearly 50,but yes i know where your coming from getting first hand practical experience,il just have to see what i can come up with,never know my luck might be able to get in with a company,dont ask dont get and all that cheers

• 3 weeks later...

like most things i suppose it seems its all about the money with these big companies.

so recently got in touch with Rentokil and was asked to go and have a friendly informal chat,no age related barrier,full clean driving license more than happy to put me with a technician to learn the ropes,company vehicle supplied all sounds good even with my limited experience within the industry.

been a cherry picker operator for many years and have at times worked with a few pest controllers installing pigeon netting and spiking on various premises,so far so good.

then the question came,how in my current position do i make more money for the company other than operating the cherry picker :hmm:

all went down hill from there on my part to be honest,i cant make my company any more money than they already charging for the hire of the driver/cherry picker for the day,week month what ever, its a fixed rate and they pay to get the job done its not the throw in a few extras to bump the money up type of industry.

he then went on about sales,sales and more sales..........of course i understand if your on site and can do a few recommendations for extra works to be carried out for further prevention but they seemed more interested in selling than actually doing any work............in short dont think working for one of the major companies is for me to be fair.

so if anyone wants to take on a friendly reliable grafter,teach me the ropes,supply me with a company van and pay the diesel give me a shout :D

Once the big companies took on handy lads with practical, outdoor, rural pest control experience and trained them up.....now they are lookin for sales people, don't even mention rural pest control if you go on interview....the keywords are upselling, communication, health and safety and documentation.

I get quite a number of letters, emails and phone calls asking about vacancies and everyone tells me they have an air rifle and that they can shoot/control magpies etc

The big companies are still a way into the industry but you need to get your head around not really mentioning pest control in the interview.....talking about your experiences dealing with people is more important than dealing with rat traps. And to be fair even though the sales targets may piss you off for a couple of years it's only a taste of the selling you would need to do to go onto work for yourself

• Like 1

I have seriously thought about taking someone on to help with the workload but i don't want someone sat in the van with me i would need someone i can send in the opposite direction, someone that is qualified and can be trusted to do the job [BANNED TEXT] , someone who in a couple of years time is not going to f off and take a load of my customers.

I love my work and apart from keeping appointments i basically choose my own days and hours i work, sometimes i don't finish till 9 or 10 at night, sometimes i knock off at 1or 2 in the afternoon, some weeks i work 7 days some i work 4, it suits me, but if i took someone on that would all after change,

My billing of customers can be a bit erratic, sometimes hardly any money in the bank, sometimes a few quid, if i had to find a wage for someone that would all after change,

.So after serious thought i recon i am better off on my own .

Plus i can be a miserable moaning bad tempered shit at times i am probably better off left alone. :huh::huh::huh::tongue2:

• Like 2

I have seriously thought about taking someone on to help with the workload but i don't want someone sat in the van with me i would need someone i can send in the opposite direction, someone that is qualified and can be trusted to do the job [bANNED TEXT] , someone who in a couple of years time is not going to f off and take a load of my customers.

I love my work and apart from keeping appointments i basically choose my own days and hours i work, sometimes i don't finish till 9 or 10 at night, sometimes i knock off at 1or 2 in the afternoon, some weeks i work 7 days some i work 4, it suits me, but if i took someone on that would all after change,

My billing of customers can be a bit erratic, sometimes hardly any money in the bank, sometimes a few quid, if i had to find a wage for someone that would all after change,

.So after serious thought i recon i am better off on my own .

Plus i can be a miserable moaning bad tempered shit at times i am probably better off left alone. :huh::huh::huh::tongue2:

exactly sort position I'd like to be in one day,working alone all day every day as and when I want lol

It's the health and safety of taking someone on that worries me....I swing from roof trusses and run up pitched roofs....if I took someone on I would need crawl boards and access equipment....he would get have as much work done as me

It's the health and safety of taking someone on that worries me....I swing from roof trusses and run up pitched roofs....if I took someone on I would need crawl boards and access equipment....he would get have as much work done as me

maybe if you take on a youngster then yes as most haven't got the common they was born with now days