.17 Hornet Strikes Again

Last night I went out with a friend for a night of shooting, we started the evening clearing rabbits up with the .22LR's, even after all these years it's still hard to beat the .22LR :D

post-87750-0-94493300-1468058709_thumb.jpg

At approx 23:30 we packed the .22LR's up and switched to .17Hornets for some fox control, after 3 minutes of squeaking we had two sets of eyes charging at us :icon_eek:

My friend took the first fox out with his .17Hornet and sniper cam, the second fox run off, but after giving it another little squeak it made the mistake of stopping to look back.... I had my .17Hornet on the shooting sticks in position and with the assistance of the nitesite eagle I took the shot which resulted in fox number 2 down.

post-87750-0-34396400-1468058989_thumb.jpg

post-87750-0-90083300-1468059162.jpg

• Like 3

Last night I went out with a friend for a night of shooting, we started the evening clearing rabbits up with the .22LR's, even after all these years it's still hard to beat the .22LR :D

attachicon.gifIMG_3122.JPG

At approx 23:30 we packed the .22LR's up and switched to .17Hornets for some fox control, after 3 minutes of squeaking we had two sets of eyes charging at us :icon_eek:

My friend took the first fox out with his .17Hornet and sniper cam, the second fox run off, but after giving it another little squeak it made the mistake of stopping to look back.... I had my .17Hornet on the shooting sticks in position and with the assistance of the nitesite eagle I took the shot which resulted in fox number 2 down.

attachicon.gifIMG_3140.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3138.JPG

Nice one. :thumbs:

• Like 1

:thumbs: I pushed it on here for such a long time with no takers, and you could simply tell from all the reports that it was a cracking little round, fixing many of the issues with other .17's whilst providing a hornet with good factory ammo from the box. Know there's a lot of nostalgia for the .22 Hornet, but the unfortunately it's heritage with older guns holds it back. I've long thought that if manufacturers want to keep the calibre alive, the best way would be to hot up the main rounds and instead produce special "heritage" rounds for use in the older guns. That would inject some life back into the .22 in my opinion, although given the superior ballistics of the little .17, you have to ask if it's really worth it when you have a flat shooting round already.

:thumbs: I pushed it on here for such a long time with no takers, and you could simply tell from all the reports that it was a cracking little round, fixing many of the issues with other .17's whilst providing a hornet with good factory ammo from the box. Know there's a lot of nostalgia for the .22 Hornet, but the unfortunately it's heritage with older guns holds it back. I've long thought that if manufacturers want to keep the calibre alive, the best way would be to hot up the main rounds and instead produce special "heritage" rounds for use in the older guns. That would inject some life back into the .22 in my opinion, although given the superior ballistics of the little .17, you have to ask if it's really worth it when you have a flat shooting round already.

How many hornet's have you used Mr?

U?

I hate to derail tornado's thread about a decent night out, but what is this talk of "pushing for a 17 with no takers"?

Unless you've got a massive stock of 17 hornets you want to palm off on someone, why would you care what anyone else shoots?

It's nothing but personal preference, and without wishing to give the man a big head, Underdog has proved time and again that if you know what you are doing, a paperclip and rubber band can be just as deadly as the "in vogue" calibres.

I fail to see the nostalgia value in a gun that does everything you ask of it.

I needed something in between the .22LR and .243. Two bullets got stuck in the barrel of my HMR and I lost all confidence in it so decided to get shut, after some research the .17Hornet or .204 best suited my needs and ended up going for the .17Hornet, very happy with my choice cracking round :thumbs:

• Like 2

About the same as 223 factory ammo, I have a variation ready to send off for a 22 hornet but now I'm not sure

The thing that is bugging me is I can't see a lot of difference between the 223 and the 17 hornet apart from knock down power with a heavier bullet

I am the same I want something between my 223 and 22lr

22 or 17 hornet I just don't know now help lol