Calibre For Roe And Red?

with jok on that ,

ive used a 243,25-06 and a 308 on on both in england , now im down to 223 and 308 for quarry shooting in scotland, mostly roe now and go to gun is the 308 with a 125 gn ,i hand load and have no issues with damage ,bullets from 110 to over 200 plenty to choose from ,

oh while you applying might as well chuck a rimfire on :thumbs:

• Like 1

+1 for the 6.5 swede. Easy recoil when moderated and man enough for the bigger stuff without smashing up the roe. The 120/130 grain factory ammo will give you a decent velocity making it flat enough out to most realistic shooting ranges, heavier than that and yes it drops off a bit but just how many shots do you expect to take at long range?? I've shot a red stag at 400m and sika at 250+ which was plenty far enough for me!

If the 6.5 didn't exist I'd have a 30.06.

+ 2 had .270 .243 .308 best all round rifle to shoot is my current one, the 6.5x55, loves the cheap ppu ammo next to no recoil or muzzle flip every shot is a follow through shot.

• Like 1

thats another apparently versatile round that i looked at, as like you I only wanted one or 2 centerfires not a list for different species but if you end up chasing boar i think you have to have a .308 dont quote me on that though.

As walshie said there is no legal spec for a Boar rifle, but did I miss it somewhere, is he interested in Boar as well?

If so, then no contest, get a .308, that was my prime reason for a .308, that and a bit of target, its probably 4-5 years since I took it out for any deer.

However, if its just Roe and Reds then a .243, easy on the Roe but don't go throwing it at Reds if they are in the next county.

There are those that will tell you it isn't up to Reds, I would suggest those people learn a bit about fieldcraft and shot placement!

ATB!

Edited by Deker

thats another apparently versatile round that i looked at, as like you I only wanted one or 2 centerfires not a list for different species but if you end up chasing boar i think you have to have a .308 dont quote me on that though.

As walshie said there is no legal spec for a Boar rifle, but did I miss it somewhere, is he interested in Boar as well?

If so, then no contest, get a .308, that was my prime reason for a .308, that and a bit of target, its probably 4-5 years since I took it out for any deer.

However, if its just Roe and Reds then a .243, easy on the Roe but don't go throwing it at Reds if they are in the next county.

There are those that will tell you it isn't up to Reds, I would suggest those people learn a bit about fieldcraft and shot placement!

ATB!

It's a fair point. I have shot several reds, hinds stags and calves with 243, I have seen many more shot with 243 by clients etc. They were just as dead asbthe ones shot with the 30 cals etc.

Equally I have seen all species f****d up with 30 cal and requiring a follow up.

I think the accepted wisdom is that with all species of deer a bigger bullet will give you more margin for error.

It's up to you if you subscribe to that wisdom, me personally I prefer a larger caliber.

As I have said before I think 90percent of shooting is in the mind.

ATB!

It's a fair point. I have shot several reds, hinds stags and calves with 243, I have seen many more shot with 243 by clients etc. They were just as dead asbthe ones shot with the 30 cals etc.

Equally I have seen all species f****d up with 30 cal and requiring a follow up.

I think the accepted wisdom is that with all species of deer a bigger bullet will give you more margin for error.

It's up to you if you subscribe to that wisdom, me personally I prefer a larger caliber.

As I have said before I think 90percent of shooting is in the mind.

:thumbs: