Why don't y'all Camo your cages ? Over here it's a fairly common practice to blast your cages with a few shades of dull spray paint to break up the out line. Also y'all don't cover the bottoms of your cages ? I apologize if I sound rude just different than how we roll over hete

Why don't y'all Camo your cages ? Over here it's a fairly common practice to blast your cages with a few shades of dull spray paint to break up the out line. Also y'all don't cover the bottoms of your cages ? I apologize if I sound rude just different than how we roll over hete

I think a certain amount of lads do cover the bottom of their cages, but others don't feel it necessary. As for painting them! They won't dip their bodygrips, let alone paint a fox cage. Lol

I think a certain amount of lads do cover the bottom of their cages, but others don't feel it necessary. As for painting them! They won't dip their bodygrips, let alone paint a fox cage. Lol

:yes::thumbs:

I cover my fox cages with wind break mesh its a sort of flexe type it increases catch rate, one of my cages caught 28 foxes over the winter.

I seem to get on just fine with traps/cages as they come. The fox sees all manor of things and walks on all manor of things during its daily life!

We all get an idea of what works and doesn't, but what does this achieve, and may I suggest the only way to know if it is effective is to place 2 traps (one with, one without) as close together as possible and see which traps most.

ATB! :thumbs:

Edit

You will see in my #15 the traps are totally out of the box, and all did the job, the last is a little different, simply in that it was a fox I caught in an office (crazy story).

I do a fair amount of fox trapping, although still more baiting/shooting, and I'm always interested to hear anything that may help in this.

Edited by Deker

I admit I do cover the floor of the trap with anything that's at hand, like earth, grass, leaves etc, but logically if foxes wouldn't go into cage with bare mesh floors, the manufacturer would make them with different floors.

I admit I do cover the floor of the trap with anything that's at hand, like earth, grass, leaves etc, but logically if foxes wouldn't go into cage with bare mesh floors, the manufacturer would make them with different floors.

True, but like a lot of traps, a bit of tweeking, can often make a big difference.

Lotta trappers over here say the same bout traps but when bobcat started goin $300-$1500 a piece you better bet most cat trappers tweeked there gear to catch any one that came near the set. Like how folk say if traps needed lamination they would all come from the factory like that. Well study on top of study shows laminations are one of the best thing you can do to a trap. Yet most traps still don't come with lams. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

After some advice I have covered my trap, I piled heaps of sticks, branches and wood against it, I had to leave a bit on top clear as that's where the trip cord runs, I also just finished putting some soil in the bottom, I knew where a fox den was, so went and shovelled up loads of soil from around the entrance, and have put a good covering in the bottom of the trap, and all around it, two reasons, I am sure walking on the mesh must be alien to them (not saying they wouldn't do it) and I am also hoping the smell around the den must have been foxy, and apparently a trap that smells of fox works better, so thought I would try it, after all, I tried everything else I can think of.

After some advice I have covered my trap, I piled heaps of sticks, branches and wood against it, I had to leave a bit on top clear as that's where the trip cord runs, I also just finished putting some soil in the bottom, I knew where a fox den was, so went and shovelled up loads of soil from around the entrance, and have put a good covering in the bottom of the trap, and all around it, two reasons, I am sure walking on the mesh must be alien to them (not saying they wouldn't do it) and I am also hoping the smell around the den must have been foxy, and apparently a trap that smells of fox works better, so thought I would try it, after all, I tried everything else I can think of.

I wish you well, and any/everything is worth a try.

As regards fox smells, then as many will give you an argument it puts them off as attracts them.

ATB!

• Like 1