How Good Is An 18 Year Old Weihrauch Hw80 .22???

Pm sent Simon

im looking forward to doing the refurb on it Tom

it took me two weeks more or less to do the hw100 and a week of that was sanding lol

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I usually use nitramose to remove the old finnish first it saves some elbow ache!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good evening Gentlemen.   Well, I went out on a farm permission tonight and decided on taking my ' old girl ' 18 years old HW80 .22. I haven't been out with her for almost a year now but, after a c

Nice shooting Simon   And lads this old baby of Simon's is going to have a make over a full strip of the old stock all the way back ,stain,d and oil,d   so she looks like new or better.   Both

Awsome mac   This my last refinish job, it's my mates gun I just got him to send me a pic.........  

Posted Images

Pm sent Simon

im looking forward to doing the refurb on it Tom

it took me two weeks more or less to do the hw100 and a week of that was sanding lol

I usually use nitramose to remove the old finnish first it saves some elbow ache!

I like to sand them back then smooth them off with wet and dry so there like glass

theirs some thing about doing it all by hand and i bi-leave there are a few scratches on this stock so it will need sanded any way Tom.

But i will nitramorse the stippling and use a tooth brush to remove the staining from that.

It will be right .

• Like 2

Not as much as you might think Tom. If the job of tuning has been done right. It takes a bit of getting used to at first as it is a bit sharper than the normal 12 ft/lb tune produces. The gun is a stable carriage for recoil and the oversize cylinder absorbs a lot of volume shock being rapidly released under the forces of the spring piston. A correct hold technique for spring rifle shooting and you'll have it mastered.

It's fair to say not all spring air rifles take kindly to being tuned to high levels of energy output. But the HW80 seems to take it all in her stride.

What is vitally important to bear in mind is you need a strong, well-made recoil-proof scope. There is enough punch to smash a cheap one. I would never put a Hawke on it. I did once! That was enough. Simmons Whitetail seems to be the perfect partner for mine.

Hi simon does the FAC 80 recoil much?

REZ.

I've never been that type that carries a video camera on hunts and uploading the results. I could get Helen to film me zeroing it at 30 metres and you'll see the accuracy the rifle has at such energy. OR..Where about's in Lincolnshire are you? I live next door to RAF Coningsby in New York (yes you read it right, we are a little village called New York!).

Come over for a shoot with me and we'll take it out. You can try it for yourself. :thumbs:

Wish y'd upload some images Simon, bloody stories like that with an eighty need to be visual :)

• Like 2

sounds superb. I used to use a rws mod 52 at 22 fpe and that was really hard to use it recoiled to the side so i went fac pcp and since lost touch shooting springers. hearing stories like that warms the heart and definitely want a FAC 80 one day.

cheers simon.

• Like 1

Not as much as you might think Tom. If the job of tuning has been done right. It takes a bit of getting used to at first as it is a bit sharper than the normal 12 ft/lb tune produces. The gun is a stable carriage for recoil and the oversize cylinder absorbs a lot of volume shock being rapidly released under the forces of the spring piston. A correct hold technique for spring rifle shooting and you'll have it mastered.

It's fair to say not all spring air rifles take kindly to being tuned to high levels of energy output. But the HW80 seems to take it all in her stride.

What is vitally important to bear in mind is you need a strong, well-made recoil-proof scope. There is enough punch to smash a cheap one. I would never put a Hawke on it. I did once! That was enough. Simmons Whitetail seems to be the perfect partner for mine.

Hi simon does the FAC 80 recoil much?

REZ.

I've never been that type that carries a video camera on hunts and uploading the results. I could get Helen to film me zeroing it at 30 metres and you'll see the accuracy the rifle has at such energy. OR..Where about's in Lincolnshire are you? I live next door to RAF Coningsby in New York (yes you read it right, we are a little village called New York!).

Come over for a shoot with me and we'll take it out. You can try it for yourself. :thumbs:

Wish y'd upload some images Simon, bloody stories like that with an eighty need to be visual :)

Right mate, I'd say that is a date. I'll pm you my mobile and we can take it from there. It will be sometime in the summer maybe, just moved house so getting out is proving an effort with the ball and chain attached :) it would be mint to actually shoot a ticketed 80.

Nice one.

• Like 2