Age To Start Training

This is roux my 6 month old cocker, I have spoke to a few gun dog trainers and they differe in they say I should take him to them for training, what would you all recommend??

Kind regards

Jäger

post-101262-0-19139000-1459348598_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jäger
  • Like 1

Take your time put the basics in, don't spoil him and find a decent bloke, someone who concentrates on cockers, and speak to him, do not rush him,they are brilliant little dogs, if you have him trained, pick the right guy to do it,

Training aside , which answers will vary accordingly, the one thing That's stuck with me is to try and not put the pup in situations where you have to correct him before he's mature enough to control his puppyish exuberance

A lot of folk feel a pup is testing them as it grows , it's not the case a pup doesn't know what it's intended task is so it gets itself into all sort of situations, it being a slave to its nature and instinct , as far as I can see its up to us as owners to manage as much as possible its inquisitive nature without having to confront it

A well disciplined and confronted pup is harder to train and becomes suspicious by nature of our intentions , I like to see a pup ready for training focused on its handler and not focused on the horizon

The pup is born social we just need to keep it that way long enough to cement ourselves as its hunting partner and avenue to flow , best of luck with the little one

Training aside , which answers will vary accordingly, the one thing That's stuck with me is to try and not put the pup in situations where you have to correct him before he's mature enough to control his puppyish exuberance

A lot of folk feel a pup is testing them as it grows , it's not the case a pup doesn't know what it's intended task is so it gets itself into all sort of situations, it being a slave to its nature and instinct , as far as I can see its up to us as owners to manage as much as possible its inquisitive nature without having to confront it

A well disciplined and confronted pup is harder to train and becomes suspicious by nature of our intentions , I like to see a pup ready for training focused on its handler and not focused on the horizon

The pup is born social we just need to keep it that way long enough to cement ourselves as its hunting partner and avenue to flow , best of luck with the little one

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

we have a pet cocker coming up to 10 now his a cracking little fella. Bright as a button and keen as mustard. Got his as a house dog but if I had molded him and trained him he would have been a cracker for the field. As it is his just crackers and with out training this is the view you will see a lot of

26893924130_e36a1e2979_c.jpg

but they are a great little breed :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...