Gas Ram Vs Spring

Hi all after buying my recent mess about plinking gun a BSA lightening I am looking to strip it and also have a go at DIY tuning it. its standard at the moment and pretty much untested due to crazy work hours. I am planning on testing it with the standard spring and then maybe buying a drop in tuning kit and polishing it ect.

Iv also been thinking about maybe buying a gas ram instead and giving it a good polishing and installing that, but have no experience with gas ram guns.

whats peoples opinions on gas rams? has anyone one here had the same gun spring powered and converted to gas ram powered or vice versa and what was the difference?

Any thoughts on this would be interesting! iv found a ram but not sure what to choose.

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all after buying my recent mess about plinking gun a BSA lightening I am looking to strip it and also have a go at DIY tuning it. its standard at the moment and pretty much untested due to crazy wo

Very sharp and very fast. Thats about it.   I had a Fenman Mk1, all be it in .177 and my god it was a world away from my springers. Basically you go back to the drawing board with your shooting tech

Cheers Rez sounds interesting and wouldent mind trying one for curiosity if anything. Iv just got one ordered from john knibs so gonna give it a go.

Very sharp and very fast. Thats about it.

I had a Fenman Mk1, all be it in .177 and my god it was a world away from my springers. Basically you go back to the drawing board with your shooting technique.

Saying that, you get a gas ram for that something different, and they indeed are, but once mastered, as accurate as the coil internal cousins.

Id have another at the drop of a hat, a Sirocco or another Fenman, but most defiantly in .22 this time.

• Like 1

Yep just a gas ram its as standard with a spring at the moment. Now planning on fitting the ram instead of a drop in tuning kit. I have been speaking to welsh willy. He doesn't do kits for the lightening xl but if the ram is pants ill be sending him the lightening to take measurements for lightening xl kits and trying that too. Seems a top bloke!

i would not fit a gas ram . i fitted one years back you will have to machine your gun a little not much i cannot remember how right now .you have to take some of the end bit that holds the spring in . i was told,,,, the rams are no good they go wrong quite soon ....i was told this by a very large west london shop i have gone to for 43 years ,,,.if you want a gas ram get a gas ram gun because of the problems we have had with the theoben gas rams we dont have any thing to do with them,,,,so any way i got one from theoben or were ever . after 6 mounths or so i used my gun for a bit the gas ram started losing pressure you could see oil coming out as i was told it would . It shot very well untill it went wrong bang on 11.8 and nice to shoot . I replaced the ram with a titan xs spring a tight spring guide and a polished top hat that is able to twist on a washer made of ptfe inside the piston .this shoots a lot better than the gas ram . my gun is 177

Edited by barrywhite
  • Like 1

I remembered a post on the rapid forums... just something I thought you might be interested in. This is obviously referencing the Theoben rammers mind.

http://rapid7ownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40009

Hi rez thank you, I am not a member so cant see it but will register and have a look later when iv got more time.

i would not fit a gas ram . i fitted one years back you will have to machine your gun a little not much i cannot remember how right now .you have to take some of the end bit that holds the spring in . i was told,,,, the rams are no good they go wrong quite soon ....i was told this by a very large west london shop i have gone to for 43 years ,,,.if you want a gas ram get a gas ram gun because of the problems we have had with the theoben gas rams we dont have any thing to do with them,,,,so any way i got one from theoben or were ever . after 6 mounths or so i used my gun for a bit the gas ram started losing pressure you could see oil coming out as i was told it would . It shot very well untill it went wrong bang on 11.8 and nice to shoot . I replaced the ram with a titan xs spring a tight spring guide and a polished top hat that is able to twist on a washer made of ptfe inside the piston .this shoots a lot better than the gas ram . my gun is 177

well iv ordered one now so ill give it a go! if it fails then no worries its only a mess about gun ill put a spring kit in it. will be nice to experience a gas ram as iv wondered what the difference between them is for years. ill keep that in mind tho and keep an eye out for problems.

Good luck, I'd be interested to hear more in due course, and also costings!

:thumbs:

Cheers Deker, so far £68.75 for the ram and postage from john knibbs.

I'm hoping it lands today in time for the bank holiday weekend. I'll do a shot string and 25m group before and after.

Good luck, I'd be interested to hear more in due course, and also costings!

:thumbs:

Cheers Deker, so far £68.75 for the ram and postage from john knibbs.

I'm hoping it lands today in time for the bank holiday weekend. I'll do a shot string and 25m group before and after.

Can supply a new one £40 plus £4 postage

well iv ordered one now so ill give it a go! if it fails then no worries its only a mess about gun ill put a spring kit in it. will be nice to experience a gas ram as iv wondered what the difference between them is for years. ill keep that in mind tho and keep an eye out for problems.

thats how i got sucked in . i did leave the gun loaded all day out shooting but not that much no more than spring guns , but that is what they say is good about the gas ram . as i said it did shoot a lot better than the standard gamo spring . you will have to make a spring press to take the gun apart . dont take the trigger out it look like a night mare to replace . if you feel like a lot more WORK and you want to take out the piston ,you have to take of the scope mount thing off another night mare . by rotating the piston with the scope mount removed it is posible to remove the piston with out removing the trigger . JUST CHANGE THE SPRING AND THE GAS RAM ONLY . or you will be lost GAMOBSA all most as bad as a stealth .

• Like 1