Laying Ducks?

Do many people on here keep ducks for eggs? My only experience of ducks is when I was keepering and being covered in duck shit catching them up the little buggers so I was wondering if there's a way of keeping a couple of ducks without the garden becoming a quagmire?

Cheers, gnipper

Do many people on here keep ducks for eggs? My only experience of ducks is when I was keepering and being covered in duck shit catching them up the little buggers so I was wondering if there's a way of keeping a couple of ducks without the garden becoming a quagmire?

Cheers, gnipper

Not without penning them in and sticking woodchip down regularly. But even then, if you get Aylesburys it will look like its snowed when they mault.

You can't mate... I've kept ducks and the make mess wherever. The smaller the pen the more mess. I don't think it's fair keeping ducks penned up the love searching for there own food come spring and summer there best kept free range.

Atb?

Edited by stevo79

I built a 'duck tunnel' from mesh panels. I wanted to keep my hens and ducks separate as the hens are so daft they would drown in the selection of pools (baths).

Both hens and ducks are separate from the veg patch as it is such naivety that they will just pick the bugs and weeds from between your plants.

Hens or plants, or ducks or plants. That is the choice.

I let mine out at a weekend, if I am working nearby.

The hens go back in before dusk, the duck - oh my god... It can take a while to shepherd them all back in.

I don't clip the wings so we have a trust thing going on.

Duck%20Run%20Mud_zpsyhts09ug.jpg

• Like 1

Do they lay well?

Well that was the plan, meat and eggs.

Reality... they lay for about 4 months of the year, some birds just seem to pop them out willy nilly

However, I have too many males. They don't lay very much when they are getting shagged umpteen times a day.

An easy fix, nobble the males.

But I haven't mastered it yet. When I catch the bloody things, darkness is your friend, as is a blanket.

Then it is bash them in or chop the head off with a hatchet and bag the stump to stop the spray.

Then get a trug of hot water and dip and pluck.

An earlier thread shows sensible people with a heated dustbin.

Then carrier bag over my hand and pull the innards out - nice.

What a palaver!

So that is why I still have about 6 males and no eggs.

Do they lay well?

Well that was the plan, meat and eggs.

Reality... they lay for about 4 months of the year, some birds just seem to pop them out willy nilly

However, I have too many males. They don't lay very much when they are getting shagged umpteen times a day.

An easy fix, nobble the males.

But I haven't mastered it yet. When I catch the bloody things, darkness is your friend, as is a blanket.

Then it is bash them in or chop the head off with a hatchet and bag the stump to stop the spray.

Then get a trug of hot water and dip and pluck.

An earlier thread shows sensible people with a heated dustbin.

Then carrier bag over my hand and pull the innards out - nice.

What a palaver!

So that is why I still have about 6 males and no eggs.

your name aint pete is it