Borrowing Rifles

Iv'e just cancelled my B.A.S.C subscriptions. Seem's to me the hunting life forums are the best place for legal advice . My defence in court if the need arises would be, Deker Alsone and Walshie told me it would be ok. Should be a clear cut case huh :thumbs:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not just apply for your own rifle, and put a separate cabinet in your boss's home, assuming he agrees, takes away all this borrowing bollo*ks, and you will be free to take it with you if and when

There is no reason why you can't apply for an FAC and list his rifles (as long as he consents). You will need to show good reason for all you apply for.   There are issues borrowing if you don't ha

cheers mate thats the answer i was looking for your a star. so if i apply i can list the rifles would the fire arms officer have to come and have a chat with me or would they just sign me off as the

Iv'e just cancelled my B.A.S.C subscriptions. Seem's to me the hunting life forums are the best place for legal advice . My defence in court if the need arises would be, Deker Alsone and Walshie told me it would be ok. Should be a clear cut case huh :thumbs:

Dont go and discourage them now Del, this thread is the only thing that puts me to sleep at night! :yes:

Dont go and discourage them now Del, this thread is the only thing that puts me to sleep at night! :yes:

Can I refer you to the 177 vs 22 debate(s) in the airgun section? :angel:

Can I refer you to the 177 vs 22 debate(s) in the airgun section? :angel:

That's my back up, closely followed by "HMR for Fox?" :whistling:

Can you not borrow a rifle from somebody who has the sporting rights over the land to which you intend to shoot, as long as the licence holder is present whilst shooting ? I thought you could but I may well be wrong.

That's the estate exemption and the person making the loan has to be the "Occupier". Whether that involves just the sporting rights or a more firm occupancy such as a person such as a sporting tenant, is the point that's open to question and somewhat grey.

The other ways of borrowing rifles I'm aware of, all involve exemptions granted to registered clubs and shooting galleries, which aren't applicable to the OP's position of shooting on a farm. It's the greyness that makes borrowing rifles somewhat tricky. FAC and permission all the way to be 100% safe.

Can you not borrow a rifle from somebody who has the sporting rights over the land to which you intend to shoot, as long as the licence holder is present whilst shooting ? I thought you could but I may well be wrong.

As Alsone has said that is because sporting rights are, in themselves, something that the holder of has legally power over and therefore subject to all the legal responsibilities of an occupier. As an example occupiers liability act.