Tom's Deerhound/greyhound Pup

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those that were asking to see the progress of my son TOM's pup,well he's 10 months old now and despite his size and tender age seems to be coming along just fine,typical D/H cross though very laid

You can see the pup make the classic mistake of over running the rabbit having to turn back completely on himself, the look of surprise said it all for me,WM    

A few more pics of the day,plenty of back up if needed, my mates 2 lurchers are quick on the rabbits but first they've gotta get past my terriers LOL's,nothing much gets away,WM  

I'm sure he will come good with time,to be fair it seems to be doing more than some saplings of that age.he may not come good till he's nearly 2?

If I remember rightly your boy lost 2 hancocks in short space of time didn't he?

Thats correct mate,they're both buried in my garden, a real shame but not robust enough for the job it seemed, I think buying a pup off 2 hard working lurchers that have put a few years on the clock without major injury is the only way to go, I have been without a lurcher myself now since just before Xmas and I'm sick of seeing things run away with my terriers strung out behind them whilst mooching about but I'm hoping to address that problem this weekend with a trip up to Newcastle to purchase a pup off 2 decent dogs that are aged 6 and 7 respectively, they sound just the ticket for me ,so fingers crossed I'm back with a full team again, WM

attachicon.gif2015-01-11 15.27.03.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_4486.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_4574.JPG

"Mollie" was never a lucky sort of bitch always just missing everything,she was the bitch on the right

[attachment=276651:2015-05-24 15.12.5 where as this was actually "FIN's" first rabbit,caught himself when it ran between the holes ferreting,just lucky ? who knows ??

Nice pictures, some nice hounds too there. I dont know about the whole log pile for a rabbit. But my joints arnt what they where 30 years of 4am starts lol

• Like 1

Which ones supposed to be the match dog ? And you'd be better with a whippet greyhound fir golf courses

I've had fast lurchers over 40yrs and I would never own a whippet/greyhound,I do a bit of everything in the course of a week and they wouldn't last 5 mins on rough terrain etc,seen plenty and most haven't got a brain when it comes to wire or fences of any sort,my old bitch was a lot faster than a whippet greyhound, the white dog was bred off lots of very well known saluki based match dogs, the bitch is an all rounder,granted the pics are not very good,but thats saluki lurchers for you and they all look half starved at best weight,to be honest if I get there and I don't like them (parents and pups) then I will not bother just for the sake of it, Tom's dog Fin's mother has just broken down tonight so I could wait and get a pup from her but that would depend on what went over her,WM

• Like 1

Which ones supposed to be the match dog ? And you'd be better with a whippet greyhound fir golf courses

I've had fast lurchers over 40yrs and I would never own a whippet/greyhound,I do a bit of everything in the course of a week and they wouldn't last 5 mins on rough terrain etc,seen plenty and most haven't got a brain when it comes to wire or fences of any sort,my old bitch was a lot faster than a whippet greyhound, the white dog was bred off lots of very well known saluki based match dogs, the bitch is an all rounder,granted the pics are not very good,but thats saluki lurchers for you and they all look half starved at best weight,to be honest if I get there and I don't like them (parents and pups) then I will not bother just for the sake of it, Tom's dog Fin's mother has just broken down tonight so I could wait and get a pup from her but that would depend on what went over her,WM
your old bitch was faster than a whippet grey? Must have had a jet up its arse
  • Like 2

No jet needed for her not a lot got away from her

Len,you I can only say it as it was mate, she came off an 8 grand match bitch over a big deer/collie/grey ,never seen her beaten by anything,her catch rate was second to none, my mate has a whippet/grey and his other bitch is whippet/grey with a touch of beddy in there,they are in the next pic alongside my bitch on the left, he runs them at a lot of shows in the straight racing and simulated coursing,always at least in the semi's but quite often will win,on the field where it counts they would not get near her,been out with so called wonder dogs of all sorts from minshaw crosses to bull/greys that are meant to of been "awesome" only to of left their owners pissed at being outrun and she had wind/stamina,the best bit for me was she was never injured in 7 and a half years and she ran everyday, she just got old and clever,dogs like her are "one offs" and even if bred from would not reproduce the same kind of pups as herself due to the % genes of parents,you just get a diluted version and disappointment,a few pics of her,WM

a few pics that were to hand of her,she had great feet as well,she ran wherever the game was,tips,golf courses,farmland,across roads,wherever !!!!

• Like 4

I would ask anyone who knows of better pups closer to WIRRAL to post on this thread or any info on the pups above,it may save me a long journey, my main thing is bushing and ferreting and would consider an older pup just starting if it helps anybody,WM

WM how come you don't breed your bitch and keep a pup back seems like the best option in the long run surely. Know you had a pup off my uncle what didn't work out and always best to stick to what you know does the business. Any breeding is a gamble but at least you know half the breeding inside out, sure a similar type would through decent bunny dogs atb with your plans and you know more than me just seems a waste when you rate her so highly atb