Any One Ever Have This Problem

delboy_187

My x bred bitch is like that mate, hard grafter when its just me her and the lurcher, but doesn't like working round other dogs, not even her litter sister and her dam. She was fine working with other dogs as a youngster, but iv'e worked her alone for 3 years more or less, does my head in a bit tbh. I think its just a case of taking them hunting with the other dogs a bit, i'm sure mine would come round given time?

• Like 1

See my dog do something strange last summer, i was out walking her over the local park its a big place and has a fair few rats in some areas. Anyway while walking i met up with another dog walker who has a little jack, so anyway were walking round when my one caught a rat, now usually she will finish them in seconds but this day she came running out of the ditch with the rat still alive, dropped it and started playing with it, letting it run then picking it up and so on, eventually with a lot encouragement from me she killed the rat. I often wonder did she act that way because there was another dog there, i could understand if it was her first rat but she had caught a fair few up till then and she has never done it since, very strange. atb.

Edited by day and night walker

My terrier is the same,will work like f*#!! when he's on his own but as soon as other dogs are present he's not interested.I put this question on another site and some people said that some dogs will take a back seat when other dogs are present and be happy to let them do all the work?atb

• Like 1

My terrier is the same,will work like f*#!! when he's on his own but as soon as other dogs are present he's not interested.I put this question on another site and some people said that some dogs will take a back seat when other dogs are present and be happy to let them do all the work?atb

I think that can happen, but its usually the really experienced older dogs just using their brains, not so much being lazy as being cunning and standing in the right place, specially if its on land they know well.

Dogs have relationships with other dogs, some dogs like each other, some dogs don't, not much different to us really. It can be hard to see sometimes, it don't always come out in an obvious aggressive way, if a dog feels slightly inferior to another dog, or gets dropped into a pack and doesn't know its proper place because its a new pack to it, it could hold back from working.

My little bitch is very submissive, likes most dogs, and submits by rolling on her back to nearly any dog we bump into, so long as its not showing any signs of aggression as it walks up, she'd be bottom of the pecking order in any pack tbh. When i go out with my lad he's got 2 lurchers and 2 bushers, they're an established pack with a pecking order, its a bit to much for my submissive bitch to handle, she gets better after an hour, but never gets into gear properly, but if i went out every week with him she'd probably sort herself out imo? She's not keen on lurchers running about near her, she knows she'll come off worst in a tumble, she's had a knock or two, but that's just her using her head, that's never going to change, and i'd rather her be like that rather than throw caution to the wind.

• Like 2