• 2 weeks later...

Whats the point banning rod and line anglers from taking a fish home and still allowing every inshore gill netter to still take 1300 kg per month. what a load of bullshit. I think there may be one or two who just ignore the rules and just carry on. Its not like they are going to appoint hundreds of extra bailiffs to catch people is it.

• Like 3

Nice to see the bass get some protection but as said shore anglers hardly make a big impact apart from the odd silly sod taking under size ones. Then again it will give the bass a chance to spawn as well but I doubt many shore anglers will stick to the rules unless they all ready catch and release. To be honest I include my self in that and yes how do they plan to enforce it with anglers hitting the beaches at all hours and what they going to do search people

Nice to see the bass get some protection but as said shore anglers hardly make a big impact apart from the odd silly sod taking under size ones. Then again it will give the bass a chance to spawn as well but I doubt many shore anglers will stick to the rules unless they all ready catch and release. To be honest I include my self in that and yes how do they plan to enforce it with anglers hitting the beaches at all hours and what they going to do search people

I agree mate it is nice to see the bass get some protection but i cant see the point of us tossing them back for them to swim a hundred yards into a gill net. I practise catch and release most of the time anyway as do most people i know. irs not about wanting to take them all [unlike the commercial boys] but i do want to take one now and again if its a good one.

• Like 2

Is there an actual problem with bass numbers in the uk or is this something we've got because of Europe?

I've spent years through the summer off the coast of Brittany in France and there always seemed more 20-30 years ago than there are now and even back then I remember my grandad moaning that there weren't the numbers there used to be 30 years before

Is there an actual problem with bass numbers in the uk or is this something we've got because of Europe?

I've spent years through the summer off the coast of Brittany in France and there always seemed more 20-30 years ago than there are now and even back then I remember my grandad moaning that there weren't the numbers there used to be 30 years before

You've hit the nail on the head there. Stocks here or certainly where I fish have been stable for as long as I can remember.

Anything to do with fisheries is a f***ing shower of shit, even more so where Europe are involved. The sooner we leave the EU and the Navy start patrolling our waters and torpedoing any Spanish or French vessel that strays too close the better.

• Like 1

iam not sure I agree up here on on the sw Scotland we have been catching more in the last 2 years then we ever caught in 20 years but we have seen a decrease. Of grey mullet though

iam not sure I agree up here on on the sw Scotland we have been catching more in the last 2 years then we ever caught in 20 years but we have seen a decrease. Of grey mullet though

I was asking the question mate, I've barely done any fishing for bass in the uk and the only place I go fishing off shore in uk is off the Yorkshire coast/ north east where you don't hear of them. All I know is that the Breton coast is pretty dire but the lads on here who go out for bass never seem to do so bad

I have never understood the minimum size limit. You name me one farmer that kills off his breeding ewes and keeps his lambs, same with cattle. Why keep a size limit that kills the fish of breeding age in favour of fish that might or might not reach breeding age? If they made the maximum keepable size limit say 3lb or even 4lb then every female bass would have to be returned. That in turn would allow better breeding stock to build year upon year.

Try looking at it this way, you have 100 bass of breeding size they are able to spawn this year. Without looking for figures lets just say each bass produces 50,000 eggs of which less than 1% will reach maturity that is still 50 odd mature bass. Take that female bass and that year you are down 50 bass.

Yet if only the small fish were harvested, because of the extra fish spawning every year there would be more bass than ever.

TC

• Like 4

The new size limit[42 cm] is supposedly to allow each female fish at least one breeding year. A 42cm fish weighs less than 2lb generally so would not be taken by the vast majority of anglers. Holidaymakers are the main culprits when it comes to undersize fish but thankfully most of them dont catch many