Well Well Well! I Wasn't Expecting That! .17 Hmr For Fox!!

I dropped one a 98 yards with hmr stopped him in his stride , as long as you know your limits and the guns limits its a great foxing round .

Just for balance, i saw a 3/4 grown cub shot in the centre of the bib at 100yds and run. On the same night a full grown fox was shot between the eyes at 70 yds and the bullet richocheted off. The fox was semi stunned but came too fairly quckly and ran off. Although in certain cicumstances you will kill fox with an hmr i personally won't use one i would wait till had something else in my hands. However it's not a problem i now have as i binned the hmr and bought a .17 hornet instead.

So, what's wrong with using a HMR in the right circumstances then?

EVERY calibre should be used in accordance with its capabilities, and that of the shooter, why does this need to be said? If you are not a capable shot and, or, push the limits of the HMR you may well have issues.

If you shoot a fox anywhere in the right place at a sensible distance with a HMR he will drop. I took a member of this forum out last Spring and as it happens he witnessed 2 foxes go down at the hands of my HMR, I seem to recall one was just under 100 yards and the other just over. Both dropped where they stood without a twitch. It is ridiculous to suggest the HMR is not capable of fox, perhaps some people in some situations are not capable of fox, don't blame the calibre.

I can tell you tales of Fox hit by bigger stuff that runs off, so what?

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The variation is back! and my FEO has managed to get .17 hmr added just in time. Not only is it an `open` ticket for both .17 hmr and .22lr he`s conditioned the .17 hmr `FOX`! , I wasn't expecting

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rimfire.aspx   This appears a common misconception, the HMR seems to get a bad press for wind drift, but Federal kindly offer a 10mph wind drift chart for all

You can't have INSIST and USUAL for the same description, they obviously don't insist if there are exceptions.   Someone needs to take their balls in their hands and stuff S Yorks "policy" up their

Posted Images