Well Well Well! I Wasn't Expecting That! .17 Hmr For Fox!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The variation is back! and my FEO has managed to get .17 hmr added just in time. Not only is it an `open` ticket for both .17 hmr and .22lr he`s conditioned the .17 hmr `FOX`! , I wasn't expecting

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rimfire.aspx   This appears a common misconception, the HMR seems to get a bad press for wind drift, but Federal kindly offer a 10mph wind drift chart for all

You can't have INSIST and USUAL for the same description, they obviously don't insist if there are exceptions.   Someone needs to take their balls in their hands and stuff S Yorks "policy" up their

Posted Images

Nice one David. Just don't go pushing that HMR to far In the wind buddy it'll surprise you and feel alot more adequate than the .22 but Imo it doesn't handle the wind quite as well as the .22 ;)

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rimfire.aspx

This appears a common misconception, the HMR seems to get a bad press for wind drift, but Federal kindly offer a 10mph wind drift chart for all their ammo, and you will note the HMR performs better than .22lr!

I always find it odd the HMR gets a bad press on this, when in fact the .22lR in virtually all its forms is actually worse, and I don't recall anyone slagging that off for poor wind performance!

:thumbs:

• Like 3

Fair play Deker. It maybe be because people tend to push the hmr out alot further than the lr. I know with my hmr I could bust rabbits out to 170 yards on a still day and would bring that down to 100 with the wind. With the .22 I shoot rabbits with subs out to 120 yards on a still day and upto 90-100 in the wind. So I suppose people tend to think that with losing alot more range in the wind with the hmr that they are worse off than the .22. I enjoyed my hmr until I wanted a dedicated foxing rifle and swapped it for a .22-250 kept the trusty .22 for the rabbits. ;)

• Like 1

Why not

South Yorkshire Police dont allow 22 rimmy or 17HMR for Fox as I am sure others don't. It was a nice surprise to see it added with out asking.

Apparently they do! :thumbs:

David's in Kent isn't he? I know for a fact, and I'm sure Charlie will back me up on this, that SY insist on a CF grant for fox. Not saying there's never an exception, but that's their usual policy.

Why not

South Yorkshire Police dont allow 22 rimmy or 17HMR for Fox as I am sure others don't. It was a nice surprise to see it added with out asking.

Apparently they do! :thumbs:

David's in Kent isn't he? I know for a fact, and I'm sure Charlie will back me up on this, that SY insist on a CF grant for fox. Not saying there's never an exception, but that's their usual policy.

You can't have INSIST and USUAL for the same description, they obviously don't insist if there are exceptions.

Someone needs to take their balls in their hands and stuff S Yorks "policy" up their asre.

The Home Office say HMR is fine for fox.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

Just one problem, the HO Firearms Guidance is only guidance.....

Also, you need to find someone willing to risk @ £10,000 to prove a point, and at what chances of success against guidance? The Force aren't bound by it. Most people would be delighted to get granted a CF in any event.

Good stuff

Just remember that although it's conditioned for fox it's not a "fox" calibre. keep shot placement in mind and keep the distances down.

I've had less runners with the .22 lr !

If you've got a lot of foxes to shoot get a centre fire.

• Like 2

Good stuff

Just remember that although it's conditioned for fox it's not a "fox" calibre. keep shot placement in mind and keep the distances down.

My maximum in perfect condition: Good light and good shot placement:

50 yards (45 meters) .22lr

80 yards (72/73 meters) 17 hmr

I've read 125 yards! Not for me!

Good stuff

Also one point, yes, if a fox comes along while I'm Rabbiting with my .22lr I'll take the shot. But my FAC .22lt is not condition for fox, so if asked to do so I can't go looking for a fox. Where as the .17 hmr on my FAC says fox, so if asked to shoot a fox this would be my only available caliber .22lr not being an option.

Fair point there David.

Far too many threads get taken of course when foxes and rimfire a are mentioned so il not go down that route. I've seen it way too many times over the last 8 years ! ( I've shot lots with rimfire so I'm not here to preach or condem )

Enjoy the hmr when it comes. I much prefer the .22 lr but there are times when the hmr does have its advantages.

Happy hunting