Novice To Working Terriers

Just looking to get started, preferably with ratting and then see where it leads from there so will be no doubt asking some silly questions as time goes on.

I had been thinking about trying it for sometime and when i mentioned it to a local farmer he was more than happy to offer his land, barns etc for me, and as well as that i do live rural and there is evidence of rats within my garden and also last year through my brick outbuilding and into the roof of my kitchen!

After looking through the posts it seems a puppy would be the best way to go, over an older dog.

A bit about my personal situation (prefer not to be half a story person) I have 3 kids, 8,7 and 2, the eldest boys would enjoy this type of thing too but whatever dog i end up with would also be a family pet. We have a black lab (approx 10) she would no doubt enjoy joining in too if permitted. Its the kids side that puts me off an older dog. Would prefer the dog to live outdoors but i suspect that might not be the case.

Love your opinion/ feedback on this.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I will seek out someone local either on here or via the local farmers etc to point me in the right direction.

I think initially it will just be around home leethedog so shouldn't be an issue, unless it happens to find anything for itself under the shed. (rats are currently trying to gnaw through this) but goes without saying about jabs etc.

Is there any particular type of terrier you would recommend, Patterdales seem a popular choice, i was offered a nice looking plummer boy last week, the cost of puppy x with time and cost of travelling was the downside to that one though. Also saw think it was JRT x Balla terrier, not heard of balla terrier before at all?

The thought of a poodle really doesn't excite me :D - I had a big argument on FB a couple of nights ago about Shi-poo puppies being advertised, £650!!!! for a Mongrel!!! bloody designer dogs! :censored:

There is a couple of options close by to me Pure Jack Russell pups and also a litter of plummer x JRT so i may pop and have a look at the weekend and obviously keep my eyes open in the meantime.

• Like 3

I wouldn't go buying the first pup you see, do a bit research but as the lads say most dogs will do rats. I tend to use a live trap then bait them for the pup, then release into an enclosed area then they do the job, mines been killing them since 18 weeks

dont listen to the same old same old, any dog will do rats. :blink: ive no doubt that most will do rats. but if you enjoy the sport no doubt you will want to progress . and its best you have a decent terrier. one that can do the job front to back. with regular ratting comes injuries working bred dogs heal better. you will need it to have an exellent nose, drive, stamina.you will also want it to have a degree of intelligence. this will help with stock training and in controlling the terrier when working. there are plenty of examples of working dogs making hard work of it along with there owners on youtube. get yourself a good pup off working stock.

post-100217-0-91537000-1453838435_thumb.jpg

post-100217-0-57889200-1453838544.jpg

post-100217-0-40753000-1453838604.jpg

post-100217-0-28619600-1453839020_thumb.jpg

ive seen a yorkie that belonged to my mother in law go to ground on fox. so going by lee's idea,s even a pot licking yorkie will work to ground.

the truth is how well do you want it to work rats. as there are ratters and then there are dogs that are good at this job. and the good one, are generally bred for the task.

pics russell / plummer. work bred by a lad on this site.

• Like 4

dont listen to the same old same old, any dog will do rats. :blink: ive no doubt that most will do rats. but if you enjoy the sport no doubt you will want to progress . and its best you have a decent terrier. one that can do the job front to back. with regular ratting comes injuries working bred dogs heal better. you will need it to have an exellent nose, drive, stamina.you will also want it to have a degree of intelligence. this will help with stock training and in controlling the terrier when working. there are plenty of examples of working dogs making hard work of it along with there owners on youtube. get yourself a good pup off working stock.

attachicon.gif_DSC1350.JPG

attachicon.gif_DSC1951.JPG

attachicon.gif_DSC1960.JPG

attachicon.gifmax crop.jpg

ive seen a yorkie that belonged to my mother in law go to ground on fox. so going by tlee's idea,s even a pot licking yorkie will work to ground.

the truth is how well do you want it to work rats. as there are ratters and then there are dogs that are good at this job. and the good one, are generally bred for the task.

pics russell / plummer. work bred by a lad on this site.

Thanks for the advice, I would obviously like to get moving and find one, however i am prepared to wait if need be The biggest thing will be finding the type of dog you speak of, just from looking on preloved and similar sites the term 'working' seems to be attached to lots of advert to push sales through.

The better the dog the better long term for me, there is so much land i can use it for around here within even 2 miles that with permission i could be out as much as i want.I like outdoor hobbies and my other hobby is livestock based so all tie in well.

I guess it comes down to finding the right dog and right person, if anyone has any recommendations on members, pups etc then feel free to contact me (or pm if prefer)

• Like 1