Novice To Working Terriers

I don't wanna sound derogortory but a poodle will do rats so any terrier ya fancy mate

A green comment that lee :icon_redface: and there's dogs that can do a rat and there's dogs that can really kill rats,just give it time,stop taking every word your told as gospel,get yourself out there and your'll find out like we all did by time spent in the field..

Good advice there hjckcff .. :victory:

• Like 5

dont listen to the same old same old, any dog will do rats. :blink: ive no doubt that most will do rats. but if you enjoy the sport no doubt you will want to progress . and its best you have a decent terrier. one that can do the job front to back. with regular ratting comes injuries working bred dogs heal better. you will need it to have an exellent nose, drive, stamina.you will also want it to have a degree of intelligence. this will help with stock training and in controlling the terrier when working. there are plenty of examples of working dogs making hard work of it along with there owners on youtube. get yourself a good pup off working stock.

attachicon.gif_DSC1350.JPG

attachicon.gif_DSC1951.JPG

attachicon.gif_DSC1960.JPG

attachicon.gifmax crop.jpg

ive seen a yorkie that belonged to my mother in law go to ground on fox. so going by lee's idea,s even a pot licking yorkie will work to ground.

the truth is how well do you want it to work rats. as there are ratters and then there are dogs that are good at this job. and the good one, are generally bred for the task.

pics russell / plummer. work bred by a lad on this site.

Have to second that,well said bud.

I don't wanna sound derogortory but a poodle will do rats so any terrier ya fancy mate

A green comment that lee :icon_redface: and there's dogs that can do a rat and there's dogs that can really kill rats,just give it time,stop taking every word your told as gospel,get yourself out there and your'll find out like we all did by time spent in the field..

Good advice there hjckcff .. :victory:

I may be new to earth dogs fire man but I've always had a Russell and have ratted since I was a lad biggest number I've had in a dat was around 800 on a pig farm I've seen many different types of dogs used as I amagine you have if the fella is just kicking around on local farms and stables with just him his lad and wants to just ave a bit of sport then as you know almost any dog will do it but yes if the fella wants to take rat hunting a bit more serious then a terrier or maybe 2 of substance may be required

• Like 3

Thank you for all your comments, and private messages. I know if i follow what i read on the forum and advice given i wont go far wrong.

I think they key to this will be walking before i run so to speak, i can see a day where i have a couple of dogs and take it more serious but certainly for the next 18--24 months it has to be about sourcing the first dog and making sure i learn what i am doing and also how to teach the dog what to do.

Dog owner all my life, kept competitive livestock since i was 13, i think this will be a totally different ball game though especially management and care of the dog.