Mk 1 Locator Box

Im needing a bit of help ive got a box here with a sticker on it reading

Fit new vr1 and vr2 but tracking badly worn on volume control cant get them .

So I asked at work and ive been given 6 100R s

Help lol does any of this make sense to anybody that can repair the box ?

I think they are the variable resistors or preset vertical trimmer potentiometers. I've fitted these in one of my boxes, the one marked 1m is 1 ohm and the other is 100 ohm. i got them from Mallinson Electrical.

Little tip change one then the other as easy to get muddled up as they look the same.

They are adjustable to set your depth, us a small terminal screw driver and car full not to force.

Cheers Arry

Im going to have a look later out of 11 boxes got 9 that work and cleaned up the other one the black wires broke off the battery terminal so I will solder on a new one and when my head stops buzzing im sure I will kill or cure the last one

If u get a reply let me know mate ave got 4 boxes needing repaired, 2 I reckon are needing wheels and the bit underneath the other 2 maybe a wizard lol

recon its the most common fault with the mk1 , brought a few of my boxes back from the dead by fitting new on/off depth switch. A guy on ebay sells them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferret-Finder-on-off-depth-switch-Deben-Terrier-Locator-/252255043836

Cheers Arry

Right I think that's what I've got with these 100R's but what I can see there under the depth wheel and vr1 &2 have 3 lugs for soldering in a row these 100R's have two at one side and the third at the other ? with my limited soldering ability this is going to be a miracle fix :laugh:

• Like 1

Vr1 and vr2 are usually blue in later boxes black and in the centre there is a slot for adjustment. They should have 2 legs in line and the middle 1 slightly off set a little so not quite in line. They are different values one of them is 100 ohms and should have two sets of numbers on it, one of the set should read 100.

The other one will have 1m this means 1 ohm, So its 100 times less resistance.

I bought 2 of each off Mallinson Electrical for less than £2.

Cheers Arry

On reading you post again you say "under the depth wheel" are you talking about the on/off depth switch? If so, I think but not 100% sure they are 5000 Ohms as the only marking i can find on the switch is B5K. K = 1000 so 5K makes it 5000 ohms. this switch should have five legs.

The ones you have marked 100R are 100 ohms.

I have bought them of the guy on ebay fitted them and they work fine.

Cheers Arry

07951 286630 phone Dave on this number and have a chat with him. He'll point you in the right direction

If it's the same lad he has some medical issues at the minute

He's still repairing them mate. He's been diagnosed with lung cancer but says he's carrying on to keep busy

07951 286630 phone Dave on this number and have a chat with him. He'll point you in the right direction

If it's the same lad he has some medical issues at the minute

He's still repairing them mate. He's been diagnosed with lung cancer but says he's carrying on to keep busy

That was 2 weeks ago I spoke to him. He may well have changed since then. Its totally understandable if he has