Pup Retrieving Sometimes, Sometimes Dropping

Help I've got a 8 months old pup. She's had 5 rabbits on the lamp. 2 she has brought into 10 foot away othets she runs off. I've tried walking of for a good 200yards she comeback to me then back picked up Rabbit and come back part way in. The annoying thing is she retrieves fine with a dummy. Hopefully the retrieving training I've given her will come through. Shall I continue to walk off when she catches after calling her with her not coming in or just stand there calling her? I want to get this right

Mine was very possessive seems to be his nature his bit odd like that. I tried walking off and ended up with the dog and no rabbit. What I do is just walk after him calmly no matter how far he went. Didn't rush to take the rabbit off him that was important just a pat and let him catch his breath. As the novelty wore off he went less and less. I also found if I tried to encourage him too me that made him worse and he buggered off more. Now his attitude is changing and he has less of a duck you this is my rabbit and doesn't bugger off or rarely and we are starting to build a routine. He knows he catches I take the rabbit and we good to go. On a few occasions he has now started to come to me only a few yards so I take the kicking squealing rabbit off him. But it is a big turn around from where we were. But your dog sounds a lot more amenable :thumbs:

So I can't really help but you are not alone lol

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

Help I've got a 8 months old pup. She's had 5 rabbits on the lamp. 2 she has brought into 10 foot away othets she runs off. I've tried walking of for a good 200yards she comeback to me then back picked up Rabbit and come back part way in. The annoying thing is she retrieves fine with a dummy. Hopefully the retrieving training I've given her will come through. Shall I continue to walk off when she catches after calling her with her not coming in or just stand there calling her? I want to get this right

My advice: She's simply too young.

I'd give her at least a month off, a teeny weeny bit of carry work and give it another go.

Ensure the recall is 110%........ :thumbs:

It's nice to see a good carry back...

post-16-0-23601300-1452245101_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'd give her at least a month off, a teeny weeny bit of carry work and give it another go.

that was what I was going to say , if a dog is killing rabbits n dropping them it's either sore mouth, injury , frustrated by other dogs or too tired.

All that can happen in youngs can't it. Strain on joints and ligaments , not long had adult teeth sore mouth? Tired because no pup can be fit etc

Ive walked 200yards away and she still carried, at end of night I chucked a dead Rabbit 20 yards and she brought straight back. Just seeing what others recommend

you said she drops the rabbits? So is she killing the rabbits? 3lb of muscle kicking about in a young dogs mouth WILL make it frustrated mate

Ive walked 200yards away and she still carried, at end of night I chucked a dead Rabbit 20 yards and she brought straight back. Just seeing what others recommend

you said she drops the rabbits? So is she killing the rabbits? 3lb of muscle kicking about in a young dogs mouth WILL make it frustrated mate

Yeah she is killing them

What do you do for the carry work?

Yeah she is killing them

easy to make a dog do this by starting them to young. Everyone on here thinks it's great to start dogs so young. It's not just ligaments, bones and minuscule damage you can cause by starting the other side of 12 months, it's also bad habits.

She might of been the type to kill rabbits anyway but it doesn't put the odds in your favour when you want dogs to retrieve, or retrieve live to hand.

It's more likely that the dog hasn't got the right connection with you. For a dog to retrieve to hand, if it is not hard-wired into its breeding as in Labradors etc, it must see you as part of the process, not an end to its enjoyment. Have a read of the tug training article here: http://www.thehuntinglife.com/the-value-of-tug-games-with-puppies/

• Like 2

It's more likely that the dog hasn't got the right connection with you. For a dog to retrieve to hand, if it is not hard-wired into its breeding as in Labradors etc, it must see you as part of the process, not an end to its enjoyment. Have a read of the tug training article here: http://www.thehuntinglife.com/the-value-of-tug-games-with-puppies/

well my pup never did and retrieve training but has all ways brings to hand but wont bring a ball back think its the difference between work and play

and Labrador is common in lurchers. It just seems to be live but after only a couple of trips. She will hopefully be ok

Shes a youngster, and as such hopefully with a bit more time she will improve..Ive always had good retrieving lurchers, and pure deerhounds that retrieve almost automatically when I start to work them, its an area that was so important to me, and as you say, you need to get it right

Hope she improves for you..

Deerhound retrieving blue hare pre ban,

post-97768-0-27978700-1452273737_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 1