Sign in to follow this  
riohog

Hand Made Knife

That horn goes nice with the steel. Nice polish on the blade any tips for getting all the belt sander marks out?

sand longways with grain then wet and dry

• Like 1

That horn goes nice with the steel. Nice polish on the blade any tips for getting all the belt sander marks out?

Ok thanks, guess patience is the key, always looking for shortcuts :thumbs: My boy is at that stage with his blade just now, been rubbing for about a day now and still hasn't got the marks out of the bevel.

Ok thanks, guess patience is the key, always looking for shortcuts :thumbs: My boy is at that stage with his blade just now, been rubbing for about a day now and still hasn't got the marks out of the bevel.

finish the bevell with fine griy belts not so much hand work then

you ever make hidden tanged knives thats the ones i used to make abit more work ,but nice when done used the antler bone for thumb piece great hobby

Finishing a blade is the worst!

But allways better to finish an unhardened blade than a hardened >60HRC blade... :(

Regards

Nicolas

Finishing a blade is the worst!

But allways better to finish an unhardened blade than a hardened >60HRC blade... :(

Regards

Nicolas

Yep he has already tempered it!

So I won't go for a mirrow polish.

I normally finish with the grinder to about 150, than by hand with 200, 360, 400

Sometimes I etch the blades in vinegar and make a finish with scoth brite, etch egain, scotch brite...

That's the result on my edc

IMG_20151127_155839_zpscm0sdyfm.jpg

Regards

Nicolas

if your going to finish like that nick you might as well finish with a micromesh wheel gives a satin finish .