caught a pullet eating an egg today , she laid her 1st yesterday off the perch as I was cleaning them out , I put a nest sight in and put another egg in it , I was feeding up today and seen the pullet with her head in the nest , I first thought she was pecking at the straw but no,, she had pecked a hole in the egg and was tucking into it , ant suggestions other than a roll away box ?

post-70358-0-75088900-1451422423_thumb.jpg old 5 gallon drum with section cut out with an overhang on top.put a brick in front and birds will have to climb over brick and under ceiling to nest they won't eat eggs if they can't stand up I used to feed excess eggs back to hens but they would never eat ones in the drums. Edited by jiggy
  • Like 2

If you only have a few hens and don't reall want to cull it. Then I would fill an old egg full of mustard and let her try and eat that. I've tried it and it worked. It's a pain in the Arse they really do love to eat there own eggs. I found also if we collected eggs straight away this helped. But once they start doing it they teach all the others to do it.

Try the mustard I would.

Atb

Edited by stevo79

well I seem to have sorted the problem !!! I put 3 golf balls in the nest and 3 on the floor , she went mad for 35 mins pecking away at each one then gave up ,, I have collected the 3rd egg off her today ,, happy days

• Like 3