Dogs Diet

Hi Peter I have to correct you mate.wolves do not eat the contents of large preys stomach however they do consume the stomach contents of say a hare because it's so small.

Its been well documented that wolves or wild dogs will shake the stomachs of large prey to remove the contents before eating the stomach ie tripe.

And dogs haven't got the correct stomach juices to read down the fibres found in veg.

The only way you could get a dog to benefit from raw veg is to either cook the veg first but you would be losing all the vitamins to the water in the pan.

Or by liquidizing the veg.

And as for the worming part it's because we humans feed things to dogs that they clearly have no need for and they get a large worm infestation.the fur of say a rabbit acts like a brush cleaning out the intestines or worm larvae.feding the crap we do like complete food simply runs through the dogs intestines doing absolutely nothing to rid the dog of worms larvae.thus we need to worm our dogs.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all just wondered what over people feed their dogs. Here's what we do. Today's recipe is tripe, hare, rabbit, squirrel, carrots and cabbage all minced together bagged and frozen for a minimum of th

I do believe you get out what you put in with your dogs be it diet,exercise,work and care. I give them the best i can on all accounts. I've had dogs for over 35 years and still get enjoyment from doin

Never had an issue with rabbit bones being too hard for a dog to eat.

Posted Images

A dogs stomach not being able to break down the fibres of raw veg. yet being able to break down large lumps of solid raw bone shows that veg isn't really needed in a dogs or wolves diet. If it was needed then afer 1000s of years of wolves evolution they would have the correct stomach juices to break it down. if you wanted to feed veg I think liquidizing it and then adding to your mince mix would be the way to go Peter.

I think even mincing the veg would not break down the veg fibres.

But when the prey has eaten vegetation it's stomach juices are made to break down the veg fibres an extract maximum benefit from it.

Imagine a deer eating a raw bone it's stomach acid wouldn't be able to digest it.

Its the same as the dog not digesting veg.

I always cook the veg,ie leeks or cabbage mostly. I dont think you loose all the vitamins unless you cook too long. The only veg that doesnt seem to digest is carrots. Veg keeps bowls moving aswell.

In summer I put nettle tops in aswell.

I heard a recent talk by a PhD person who has studied wolves and their diet. One of the interesting things she said was that while wolves don't eat the stomach contents of larger prey (can't remember what she said about the intestines), they will actively go out of their way to eat herbs, fruits and berries.