How Many Dogs And Breeding

King if your pups brought up running the woods he should learn some sense imo,like the boys have said next slip could be the last wherever you running them,you can't always be what if? (Would sooner it be running than to lose in a kennel fight )it's the game we are in be it a runner our one under the sod.enjoy them to the full and use your head,atb dc

Forest Daniel there ain't any sizable woods about me mate I wish there was as I love to walk through a big woods surrounded by oaks etc.but the forest is so tight a tree every 4ft odd.im In them most days.and 1 slip or miss judgment from the dog is all it takes.

Spike dose look like a handful how tall you do you think he will be?

Well Rex is 27" just measured him now. and spike is 22" at 5 months I'm sure he will go past that plus his knuckles are still very big a lot more size to them than Rex had at his age or even a month or 2 older.

@GAZ yea get some bought mate very good stuff. I did have a tub of green goey stuff off an old timer about 13 yrs ago when a staff I had.had a decent sized hole in his leg it was great stuff but I can't remember what it was called.

Sounds like you lads all have young dogs and thats great,you can hope for the best,but if you get a really good one then you wont want to loose that blood,although most will anyway by continual outcrossing when they do breed,but you will always get upsets and disappointments with any livestock,but you should still plan,in fact if you are keen how do you not plan in your head.

Gaz,you advise against planning and then lay your plans out that are in your head....see its hard not to if you are keen.

Edited by jeemes

Sounds like you lads all have young dogs and thats great,you can hope for the best,but if you get a really good one then you wont want to loose that blood,although most will anyway by continual outcrossing when they do breed,but you will always get upsets and disappointments with any livestock,but you should still plan,in fact if you are keen how do you not plan in your head.

Gaz,you advise against planning and then lay your plans out that are in your head....see its hard not to if you are keen.

Yeh I see your point Jeemes. But there is planning and there is planning. Lol.

All I really plan is to get through my next hunting trip and the dogs come home in one piece. Anything after that is just an idea ?

If your not in it yet then my advise is don't get into it at all it's a hard game especially now and an even harder game to get out of it will take over your life and things will never be the same again lol true ; )

I was told the same at 15 by an experienced lurcher bloke. Stinking cars, stinking green tripe, vet bills, soaking wet dogs, soaking wet clothes, hundreds of hours spent keeping them fit in all weathers, out getting filthy dirty and hassled off police when you could be at home with a beer...

Glad I never listened though ?

• Like 3

I've got two, anymore than that and I don't think they would be worked to a level where I could say "that is a proven dog, week in week out over the 3/4 seasons" even now one is the 'main' player, and the other is more of a sub .. That will alternate as time goes on and the 30 or so months start to tell.

Don't plan? Ha I don't think any serious and 'practicing' dog man with a genuine passion for the game could say that .. The only time I'm not 'planning' is when I'm across that field on a dark and windy night .. Other than that I'm always planning, not only for the next, but the 2nd, 3rd generation! How I can improve on my beast and a line of running dog that I will ultimately call 'my own'.

• Like 1

Was tongue n cheek but true all the same..

Can't beat it sometimes gaz but best you don't get in to deep I reckon anyway, how old are you and how long have you been going?

Give it time lol..

I aren't one of these internet heroes who's life revolves around hunting photos and big numbers mate.

I just enjoy keeping dogs and letting them do what nature intended now and again. No pressure, no stress. Just a bit of a hobby and a bit of enjoyment. Can't see that changing with any amount of time.

• Like 1

Was tongue n cheek but true all the same..

Can't beat it sometimes gaz but best you don't get in to deep I reckon anyway, how old are you and how long have you been going?

Give it time lol..

I aren't one of these internet heroes who's life revolves around hunting photos and big numbers mate.

I just enjoy keeping dogs and letting them do what nature intended now and again. No pressure, no stress. Just a bit of a hobby and a bit of enjoyment. Can't see that changing with any amount of time.

; )
  • Like 1