Hori Hori Knife

Cracking tool for the job and it's all I use most days. However I remember a post way back complaining about the concave blade and can see the point in the posters thread regards cutting out a nice rectangle.

Gunna grab one of mine tomorrow and heat it in the vice to flatten out then a cold dip to harden. They really are a good bit of kit and a flatter version may be a nice option.

Didn't get time this morning ,I've got 2 of them one with the wooden handle the other with a plastic which was a tenner cheaper. Really loathe to have a go at the hardwood handle version (blades the same).

we'll give the plastic one a go in the morning with copious amounts of cold water pouring over the handle as it gets heated and reshaped,my fitter mate reckons it could split the blade?

only need one knife so the plastic handle needs to be the giunea pig but like you say not difficult to rivet a new hardwood handle on. that's if the blade takes the stress I suppose.

Was gonna ask that! Would all that heat not f**k up the handle?

:blink:Years and years of usage, by Japanese gardeners,..all the canny wisdom of the ancient Samurai sword makers,..to conceive and devise, a rough, tough, carbon steel tool (or a stainless steel fecker for the poofs)....all that creativity to produce that unique concave valley, to help remove loose soil,...yet folk want to place this uniquely useful tool in a fecking vice and bend it straight...!

C'mon now bonny lads,.. Rambo knives and secondhand bowie style blades are easily found at most Boot sales,..cheap as chips,.so fer fecks sake, use yer noddles,..leave old Hori Hori alone. :D

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

Jesus Christ these blades are indestructible, we got it mad hot in the vice and it wouldn't bend.

decided to heat it on the bench and bash the life out of it with a mash hammer, still didn't bend one little bit. Take my hat off to the Japs and their steel making prowess so I remain the same as I was this morning. The best concave hole cutter in the North lol.

• Like 1