Probably Been Done Before But 223. Or 22-250 For Fox ?

Looking for a good fox rifle and as usual if unsure ask on here years of experience and wisdom on here the land is 600acres with a few areas sectioned off for game birds I understand 22-250 has the longer range but loud. both 223 and 22-250 ammo are ready available near me that's why I narrowed it to these caliber's

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As said both will do the job,however if longer range shots are the norm,I would lean towards .22-250 or dependant on what your ground is passed for, consider a .243, with a light bullet, it will shoot

If you want to start shooting 75 grain bullets mate buy a .243 not a .22 cf, you really are defeating the object of a .22 cf in my opinion.

Just read this and I'm amazed at how upset people get over these issues. I had a really accurate .223 Remington..............which I sold because I thought I needed a .243 because I was shooting over

Posted Images

Got one need something with a bit more range plus West Yorkshire are a bit odd with using hmr for fox found a vid of a red neck testing 223 against 22-250 the 22-250 goes in to the gel and expands that violently it dint's his metal table thing very impressive

Got one need something with a bit more range plus West Yorkshire are a bit odd with using hmr for fox found a vid of a red neck testing 223 against 22-250 the 22-250 goes in to the gel and expands that violently it dint's his metal table thing very impressive

A fox is only a 12lb dog. A .223 will be more than sufficient and ammo easier to come by I would have thought. Reloading components more available, if you're going to get into rolling your own.

What's the maximum range you'll be shooting foxes at and what is the most common range?

The max range is about 450yards but won't attempt that till I know I can hit the target every time at that distance common range would be 150 yards as they are quite alert on this perm

I don't think either calibre would be good at 450 yards. both would have the energy to kill at that range, but actually hitting the thing might be more testing.

It's not a range i would consider shooting at. Maybe that's just me. :thumbs:

I don't think either calibre would be good at 450 yards. both would have the energy to kill at that range, but actually hitting the thing might be more testing.

It's not a range i would consider shooting at. Maybe that's just me. :thumbs:

I can't see in the dark at that range let alone shoot :laugh:

I've had both calibres for Fox, currently have a Ruger No1 in 22.250.

No big significant difference in 'my' usual Foxing territory, I have a Hardy Gen 2mod on the Ruger and it's very tame.

The only thing that makes me lean to the 22.250 is that I reload, the cases are bigger and more robust, but MOST OF

ALL they use LARGE rifle primers, the same as my other 2 centrefires. The .223 uses SMALL primers so I needed two primer

tools etc etc.

Bullet heads are the same, Powder use is a bit more in the 22.250, but I don't shoot 100's, dozen's more like so no matter.

There are probably more rifles available in .223, in fact all the 'majors' have there best offerings in .223, but I would guess

less than 1/2 offer a 22.250.

But in truth either is good for me.

• Like 1

As said both will do the job,however if longer range shots are the norm,I would lean towards .22-250 or dependant on what your ground is passed for, consider a .243, with a light bullet, it will shoot flatter than both and have more power,and if you decide to shoot deer at some point,.243 is all species deer legal.

• Like 4