Starting A Pup

I have been out of the game a while and have got myself a well bred pup that's now six months old .

All my work was pre ban with running dogs alongside so was fairly easy to start up the pups as had older dogs and also the lurchers would catch so had carcasses, bushing etc to let the young terriers see fox.

Now being out for a while I have no older dogs to show a dig or two, some carcasses etc.

I've always started my pups on rats, build a bit of confidence before seeing the olders work bigger stuff .

So, without access to a digging dog what would you do over the next 12 month or so with a pup to get it started?

My plan is for her to start at the chicken farm around Christmas time on the long tails.

Get him out and about, so he knows what all different scents are in country side, get him using his nose and giving him a kill as a reward like digging out rats, maybe let him sniff a few places you think holds whilst on lead and watch his reactions, it's okay letting him see a dig pal but older dog ain't gonna be going with him when time comes, so let dog mature and try him, if he got anything about him he will self enter anyways when ready

Good advice.
  • Like 1

For digging only I sort of disagree with the get them out and about let them get the scents of the country side when ther to young to actually enter gona be hard for me to get this down in writing but I will have a go

Main reasons I don't think having pup around earths all the time on a lead and pulling him away when he is interested can do him any good only confuse him only time for me is when ther is a kennle mate in the earth working and the pup can hear smell and see what's going on and this I only do 1 or 2 times when he is almost at a age to try

I also think letting them rag lots of caucuses other dogs have grafted for can do more harm than good to a pup as they can get to think that that's ther job again I do this once or twice max

I try to keep countryside pursuits to a minamum with the young ones I've brought on they get play time and exercise at home and free flow in the garden and when we hit the country it's for work I've found keeping it simple and letting the dogs breeding /instincts do all the work is the easiest way and I try not to get involved or confuse them in any way I don't even speak to them just un clip them if ther interested they soon pick up when we're out in the field ther getting work not walking past empty earths what they want to go down and getting pulled away from them I no evry one dose it diffrent I've done it the same ways as suggested and honestly found that keep it simple and let the pups instincts take over works for me the best that's my way of doing it but for you mate who not got a older dog I whuld suggest let him be a pup and wait till your dogs nearly ready to try and try get out on a dig or even just walk him to some earths you think hold and see what he dose of he's well bread as you say you shuldent have a problem it's what ther bread for after all

Good luck with him pal

• Like 3

Got agree with the ragging of carcasses and stuff !! Seen a few dogs lately because they have ragged and seen a few after the dig them think that's there job and will not go and search the earth themselves

I think all the lads advice it pretty much nail on head although I would just add that not all terriers and terrier breeds are the same . Some are go at it easy some might lack a bit of confidence and need time in the field, this doesn't mean they're not gonna be any good . Just weigh your dog up give it time and enjoy . Also I would say if you yourself have been away for the job I would suggest you clue yourself up on the laws of the land as well !

• Like 1