A Bad Run Of It . . .

Well, I've got to say it's been a very mixed start to the season. The dogs have been kept fairly fit over summer, out doing a lot of mooching, quite a bit of chasing, although not much catching. Things kicked off very well, got the old dog (Finn) out and had a few, and the young bitch (Bree) was to be fair, on fire. At two and a bit, she had just had that moment that all dogs have, where they suddenly grow up and into themselves, the pup becomes the dog that you will run for it's life. Mentally and physically she has grown into herself, and was catching very well. Just before she had her accident, she made a catch which to me was probably one of the best I've ever had, and cemented in my mind that she was going to be a very good dog for me. To say I was excited about the coming season would be an understatement!

Anyway, within two weeks, all of that fell apart! First, out lamping with the old dog, he lost a few teeth, and somehow ended up catching something else, as I posted on here before. . . lost a third of his body weight while in the vets on drips etc. . . . .and then a week and a bit later, the young bitch impaled herself on a rock, ripping a fist sized hole in her chest muscles. Both dogs are home and on the mend, but something tells me the old dog will never be the same again. And the young bitch is to be walked ten mins at a time on the lead, building up by 5 mins a week. . . . until I can eventually let her off in a confined space, so she can't run, just trot. It will be a long time before she is flying again. Its not so bad for the old dog, he's had his time, but for her, she's at that point when she just needs work, , lots of work, to really wed her to her game.

And for me, the season is basically over. I'm left with a wee hound. . . . . so I can still do some chasing, but without the running dogs, its just not the same.

And the bad luck is still coming. Was out this morning with a mate, and one of his pair of lurcher bitches, hit a sharp stick in some clear fell and took the front off her leg, damaging muscle and tendon. She will also be out for a good while.

It makes you realise just how much these dogs give for us, to give us our sport.

So as you've guessed, i'm sat at home bored, with no dogs to run :laugh: And I've learnt that the woods are a dangerous place to run dogs regular. We've had a long run of good luck, some great sport and no injures. But I guess sooner or later its inevitable. :cray:

• Like 8

Yer jinxed,no ones going to want to go out with you,lol

Aye, maybe. That'd suit me most of the time though :laugh:

But at the moment, my plan, while waiting for my lot to heal. . . . . is to convince my friends to go out with me and aim their dogs at stuff :laugh:

Could have had a brilliant catch today, but instead the would be victim, just got barked in its face quite a lot.

• Like 1

Get a gun save the barking then better luck next season

Where would be the fun in that. I've got several guns. But most of the time, I don't need anything dead that badly, that if the big dogs aren't there to do their bit, then it can just run.

Same with ferreting these days, if it goes to ground and there isn't a running dog about, I don't really see the point on ferreting it out.

Get a gun save the barking then better luck next season

Where would be the fun in that. I've got several guns. But most of the time, I don't need anything dead that badly, that if the big dogs aren't there to do their bit, then it can just run.

Same with ferreting these days, if it goes to ground and there isn't a running dog about, I don't really see the point on ferreting it out.

snap nets are a thing of the past
  • Like 1
  • 2 years later...