SNARING FISH

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've heard of it being done but never seen it. it must be quite a skill

we used to wire small trout for pike fishing bait many years ago , could easily have netted them , but it was more fun,

an old boy in our village is a dab hand at it , he used to do it in daylight aswell on a local stream for trout and grayling, he always calls it a sling and its made from a single strand of rabbit snare wire on the end of a stick , he always walked about with a thumb stick and a wire in his pocket just incase he saw a fish laid

iv heard pike aint that bad and if you take a fillet from a 5/6 pounder and bone it its supposed to be good im gonna give it a go when i get out with the rod againe . as for the snaring my dad used to tell me about them going out along the eden and a boy he knew ses watch this pulled back some weed and ses when your ready tug the rod so he did and nailed a big salmon the boy snared it he ses . my grandad used to do it to my dad ses we went into my grandads one afternoon (mums dads) and there was a salmon on the table with its head hanging of one end and its tail of the other was a big dining table he ses i said why is there a dead parrot on the table i was about 3/4 and that was how he had gotn that fish also . no idea how to do it tho must take a bit skill stalking up on a fish and getting under to get it snared without it spooking .

the best set up for salmon is length of fence wire that wont spook the fish . now for the snare by far the best electric fence wire . connect the two then slip the snare over the tail and pull forward and up then run back and the job is done . thats what i was told not that i would ever think of doing it :whistling:

also the same principal used to be used on pheasants long pole with a snare :whistling:

have you ever tried it?.......

i have and i have to say don't believe everything you read....or hear from old poachers!! :yes:

its sooooo difficult to snare a roosting bird you woudlnt believe :yes:

So im told....JD

I have heard a lot of people say they can snare fish or roosting pheasants but I have never seen it done myself!! A bit like trout tickling . . .

As for eating pike - a clean, lean 8lb fish is really good eating, the only drawback is the profusion of tiny bones which puts me right off. :sick:

OTC

also the same principal used to be used on pheasants long pole with a snare :whistling:

have you ever tried it?.......

i have and i have to say don't believe everything you read....or hear from old poachers!! :yes:

its sooooo difficult to snare a roosting bird you woudlnt believe :yes:

So im told....JD

With you there JD .We had a go one night with a roach pole and wire but the damn pheasants kept ducking and diving and eventually flew off .Very disapointing . :icon_redface: .