Decorating....dulux

Some opinions please, the house needs work.

Hall/Stairs/Landing and Living room are being decorated.

There is a suggestion Hall/Stairs/Landing are heavy duty areas and could benefit from a paint along the lines of Dulux "Endurance", (there are several similar own brands). I have heard mixed reviews on this paint, both application and performance. Have you used it please and got any personal, specific experience, your comments would be much appreciated.

There is more.... what about Dulux "Kitchen", this apparently is easy to clean and stain resistant which sounds good for not just the Kitchen but H/S/L, maybe even other areas. Your experience please.

Finally, they are water based, as is the Dulux ordinary Matt, what about actually mixing Endurance or Kitchen with ordinary matt Dulux paint (which is not rated very well for wear, stains or cleaning)? There is a major price hike between ordinary Dulux Matt colours and Endurance/Kitchen, would a mix improve wear/stain resistance and improve cleaning of ordinary matt? Dulux themselves mention all these paints can be water thinned if required so will they mix together, I'm struggling to see why not?

Reason really is I've had H/S/L and Living room skimmed, including ceilings. After allowing more than enough time for the plaster to dry, everything has had a mist coat of Dulux Matt White, it has actually covered better than I thought, but has used 24L of paint so far. Everything will need 2 more coats so I have a lot of paint to buy yet, and that's without thinking about the doors/skirting/etc. Almost all the rest of the house will follow in a similar fashion, so I have a serious quantity of paint to buy. Cost is obviously a factor, but I want a good job and decent finish.

Cheers.

Edited by Deker

You just give it the one mist coat Deker? If you're thinking of going down the premium paint route I'd be tempted to give the walls another coat in the white at least. :yes:

Whatever paint type the next coat may specifically be, it will be "diluted" as appropriate! :thumbs:

Final colour (as yet not 100% decided) will be a light shade, (which is why I'm after something durable and cleanable) and I'm pretty confident, seeing the results of 1 mist coat, 2 more coats will do, and it's likely both will be diluted to allow for better roller flow, slower drying and less orange peel.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Aren't you supposed to seal new plaster with pva before you paint it? Or am I being old-fashioned?

Lots of views here, many will suggest the mist coat soaks in and forms a good base bond for the paint. Use matt not silk paint for this, heavily diluted, opinions will vary over % dilution.

PVA can/will form a surface barrier which the paint sits on top, the paint can bond to this but over the years I've dropped the PVA and simply use a mist coat.

Everyone will have an opinion, and what works best for them, the mist coat works for me these days, its also easier to sand/fill when you see the mess the plasterer made after you applied the first paint (mist) coat!

Thanks for this but I'm really just after opinions/experience re paint types or mixing them as in OP.

Cheers :thumbs:

Aren't you supposed to seal new plaster with pva before you paint it? Or am I being old-fashioned?

Lots of views here, many will suggest the mist coat soaks in and forms a good base bond for the paint. Use matt not silk paint for this, heavily diluted, opinions will vary over % dilution.

PVA can/will form a surface barrier which the paint sits on top, the paint can bond to this but over the years I've dropped the PVA and simply use a mist coat.

Everyone will have an opinion, and what works best for them, the mist coat works for me these days, its also easier to sand/fill when you see the mess the plasterer made after you applied the first paint (mist) coat!

Thanks for this but I'm really just after opinions/experience re paint types or mixing them as in OP.

Cheers :thumbs:

Well pardon the hell out of me! :laugh:

intresting fact...the dulux dog the old english sheep dog was from wales and my parents bought a pup off him for a silly amount of mony, any how his show name (wait for it!) dandiecroft lionking of thornhill..........yeh

any how my first lurcher was a scruffy roberts bred deerhound cross and yep their was a accidental mating with this giant hair ball of a dog..the resulting litter was famous locally! balck and white long rough haired curs fast as hell with some pile of brains...theirs still one or two fo them about localy they will be 13 now

• Like 3

intresting fact...the dulux dog the old english sheep dog was from wales and my parents bought a pup off him for a silly amount of mony, any how his show name (wait for it!) dandiecroft lionking of thornhill..........yeh

any how my first lurcher was a scruffy roberts bred deerhound cross and yep their was a accidental mating with this giant hair ball of a dog..the resulting litter was famous locally! balck and white long rough haired curs fast as hell with some pile of brains...theirs still one or two fo them about localy they will be 13 now

My brother worked for a company that marketed Dulux in ireland, sometimes he had to bring an Old English Sheepdog with him to the decorating shops, what good it did I don't know.

Many thanks for all the input.

Question.

Have you Mixed Dulux Endurance or Kitchen with ordinary Dulux Matt (same colour)?

If so what is your opinion of the result?

Many thanks.

Edited by Deker