Old Trap Collecting

I have a couple that I first cleaned with a wire-brush, taking the loose parts of rust of. After that I've put them in a bucket with a solution of hydrochloric acid and hot water, cleansed them afterwards with plenty of water and after drying I put boiled linseed oil on them, they came out really nice.

Eds, welcome to the trap collecting gang ...

It looks like you have three gins from the 1930-40s era there, one by Defiance, one by Sidebotham and one by Glover.

DO NOT use brick cleaner, vinegar, citric acid, shot blasting, caustic solutions etc as you will remove the patina and devalue them by about 80%

Put them in hot soapy water and carefully brush off all of the loose surface rust and dirt. Use fine wire wool on the Galv plate but not too rigorously as it will go too shiny. For the metalwork, use a small steel wire brush, not a rotary brush, a hand held one, and only clean off the surface rust. A light going over with fine wire wool will bring it up afterwards, but do all this while it is wet and soapy

Afterwards you can use furniture wax polish or WD40 to prevent any further corrosion

If you or anyone else want any traps to start you off on your collection then PM me anytime

OTC

• Like 2

I'm not really into traps. I do like to see people using them and I also like to see people enjoying there passion/hobby but what I do enjoy most of all is seeing someone who takes such pride and passion as OTC,s does helping people out with advice and helping people out in starting there own old trap collecting.....OTC you and others like you are what this forum is all about .....

And by joe it still amazes me how from them pics you can name manufactures and dates/years...