Well just got my first allotment,just sorting the place out getting rid of bits of rubbish and stuff. There are a couple of buildings to come down that are rotten,which I've started to take down and burn. There is a bit of a problem with cocaine weed invasion which needs to be dealt with. On the plus side I've got a good patch of rhubarb? plus I'm allowed to keep chickens on it as well,so going to be busy for a while,so if anyone as tips like dos and don't feel free to share as I'm a allotment virgin?

A1EBC692-3845-4F30-A3AE-D3AEE1310779_zps

CB237102-F7E7-4229-9CF4-828BF32BFE14_zps

A57F946E-DD64-4DC8-8691-9450D3AC4605_zps

77369D6D-9FC7-4D47-8FDA-F02D728B7884_zps

• Like 9

My advice is make mates with one or more of the older guys who's retired and there all time lol they will watch your plot when your not there, show you how to do things right and laugh at you when you do things wrong lol at least they will if it's anything like our local plots lol

I'm already talking to the old hands a couple was helping me on Sunday so I will be picking their brains

• Like 1

So it would be a good idea to get chickens as soon as to help with weeding etc? It's only 5 mins from my house so letting them out and putting back in is not a problem,I'm allowed 10 chickens but think I'll just get 4/6.

Also they said I can keep rabbits upto 9 I couldn't think why is it some thing to do with allotments years ago?

Lots of potential there MR TP. ive had one 28 years good advice given re picking peoples brains. When your on top of the work stay on top of it makes things easier in the long run. You will learn through peoples advice and making mistakes. i hope you enjoy it.

• Like 3

Oh one more thing I'm paying £40 a year(inc water) is that the going rate....I think it's a good price considering the plot

I think ours has just gone up to £38

Rabbits was from ww2 era rationing etc,lot of council allotments allowed hens for eggs no cock birds and rabbit for meat .

And yes some of the plots here had 5 ft high growth.

Oh one more thing I'm paying £40 a year(inc water) is that the going rate....I think it's a good price considering the plot

I think ours has just gone up to £38

Rabbits was from ww2 era rationing etc,lot of council allotments allowed hens for eggs no cock birds and rabbit for meat .

And yes some of the plots here had 5 ft high growth.

Thought it was something like that cheers....we arnt allowed cocks here or ducks only female hens as it says in the rule book lol

So £30-40 is the going rate not bad considering the size of plot and the veg I can hopefully get off it

• Like 1

18 for half and 35 for full plot here,bit no livestock and tbh iys went down hill last few years and its now left down to 3 or 4 of the older men that have plots for years looking after all empty ones, mad thing is now its only them the plots have never looked so good and tidy even tho they must have a combined age of 250 or summat lol what they don't know between em, aint worth knowing lol don't know about where you are teapot, but theres big money here for leeks and other prize veg lol

Empty plots? it's hard to get one round here big waiting list.....has for prize winning veg I'll be happy if they start growing lol

Lots of potential there MR TP. ive had one 28 years good advice given re picking peoples brains. When your on top of the work stay on top of it makes things easier in the long run. You will learn through peoples advice and making mistakes. i hope you enjoy it.

Cheers darbo like you say when I'm on top I will stay on top cheers?
  • Like 1