How Deep Are Your Digs?

I had a 4ft dig yesterday morning which is deeper than average on my land, usualy somewhere between 2 ant 3 ft. I do have an old landfill site which is over 6 ft deep in places and near impossible to dig.

I only ferret local and Im curious about the depth of warrens in other parts of the country, does your land dictate the kind of ferret you use? for example I like hobs that stick with rabbits until the end but Id imagine that if I was working warrens that were 6-8 ft deep Id want a ferret that didn't stick.

I'm digging about the same as you,on the rare occasions I get out!,around 2/3 feet in hedgerows,around fields and paddocks usually,got another farm or two for this season that I've not done anything other than lamp them on so don't know about this yet but doesn't look too different...

I dont bother if it's over 3 foot as a rule, though my mk3 seems to always indicate the rabbit is a bit deeper that it actually is, so I may try 4 foot this year.

Anything over 3 foot means I can't reach without a trench, and I don't like messing the ground up too much if I can help it, plus if doing hedgerows you have to cut to many roots and may knacker the hedge. Most of my digs are less than 3 foot but I've had readings of 10 foot on some of the really old warrens.

• Like 1

Anywhere from 2 to 4ft....

Normally always in chalk and flint. Had the joy of digging shallow in sand the other day, nice., Well, till you get to a bit of rocky sandstone or compacted landscaping material.

It dont matter what it says on the box. I`ll still have a crack at it if Ive got the space to go at it, cos sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised. Some of the tube junctions can be quite cavernous and a 4ft dig can sometimes turn into a 2.5ft dig, and one more in the bag is one more in the bag.

• Like 3

Anywhere from 2 to 4ft....

Normally always in chalk and flint. Had the joy of digging shallow in sand the other day, nice., Well, till you get to a bit of rocky sandstone or compacted landscaping material.

It dont matter what it says on the box. I`ll still have a crack at it if Ive got the space to go at it, cos sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised. Some of the tube junctions can be quite cavernous and a 4ft dig can sometimes turn into a 2.5ft dig, and one more in the bag is one more in the bag.

And you could hit a stop end with more than one balled up...

A digs a dig when your ona job and the ferret don't show its spade out and get on with it , it's nice when your only a foot to four foot , but last year in different places we where often hitting seven foot digs

• Like 2

I was doing a new bit of ground one day last season with longers off here and we got held up for a while. Got the locator out and we eventually picked the ferret up right on the extremity of the locator's readout - we could just find it at 16 foot, then it would disappear momentarily then back again, then disappear etc. By this point it was well on in the day and we wouldn't have had a cat in hell's chance of getting anywhere near it in daylight. So we started whacking the ground as hard as we could with the spade in the hope we might stir things up and shift the ferret. Luckily it worked and about 10 minutes later we managed to box the ferret up. Walked off thanking our lucky stars and vowing to never go anywhere near that warren again :laugh:

any 'thing above 8 foot will take a good hour and more,, thats iff your dig holes are not in the shape of a road cone :icon_redface: THATS iff the ground is kind to you,,, by that time my ferrets will be out,,,,so hit looks like 8 foot or less,, for me,,,,

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 1

Anything up to 4 feet,,,,,,,,but usually 1 or 2 feet,,,,,,,anything over 4 feet wait a while for the ferret to kill then it will show,,,,,always do the deep holes up to about midday,,,,,,,but if ferret can't get in to kill have to dig deepest 5 foot nightmare..............but never dig sandy burrows over 2 foot.......