Neutering Effects

A greyhound man/vet told me he strongly advises against any spaying or neutering at any age. Nothing to do with drive. Sonething about the healing process to tendons and ligaments after small tears. Aparantly pet dogs its fine to do so as there tendons arnt put under the same stress as our lurchers who we get to peak fitness. spaying or neutering could weaken them more so in males aswell. Due to the large drop in hormones that help with repair and cause more injuries. To me thats not a risk i want to take.

didn't know that, but in saying that , when I worked at greyhound kennels , you never seen or heard of any dog/bitches that had been done, so could be some truth in it. many a time ive met people on the dog walk with there male dogs(pets) that been done, I asked why they done them the answer always the same, that they didn't want them after bitches in heat, and stop them from fighting .Well I said to them ive had dog/ bitches together (none ) were done had bitch live until 14 and healthy , she had a injury but that was running a rabbit, my males never fought each other , and only played up a bit for maybe 1 week in the year which is nothing. and this feckin woman had mad afghan hound , that had its nut off , but was gong mad to get at my 2 dogs good job it was on its lead , my 2 no leads just stood there looked, and I called them away no prob , but did tell her learn to train a dog 1st next me before going to a vet , feck me she didn't like that :D

had a bitch spayed alot of years ago and was one of the best hares dogs in this area had all the gears never done her any harm
  • Like 1

You need to think carefully before doing anything, how old are your whippet bitches, if this lurcher pup has the breeding background and turns out your one in a million, all time best dog, you'll kick yourself for getting him fixed. Me and a mate got a line of lurchers going but we did the mistake of getting one male fixed and leaving the other too long to breed from (too old now), so we've gone down the road of having semen frozen from the males, before castrating, in case we lose any on pigs or accidents ect.

If you don't want your bitches done you could have the lurcher vasectomised.

Be infertile but keep his testosterone.

I knew they did ferrets , but never heard of them doing dogs ,? but that would suppose solve his prob .

Why on earth more dont do it I don't know,with all the problems castrating brings.

I asked a vet a few months back and she said because they cant get testicular cancer if we chop them off.

• 1 year later...

Wondering about what to do with my lurcher, he's just over a year old, and has cryptorchidism, so one ball hasnt come down. Vet wants to remove them both, as it's "unethical" not to remove the descended/intact teste. I've done my reading and for me, I don't want to lose muscle tone, or have behavioural changes etc.

2 questions, am I right to worry? Anyone else had a similar situation? And secondly, anyone around Glasgow able to recommend a vet who would listen to my side - which is to remove the undescended teste but leave the other one in place!