First Check Of The Traps

Popped a couple of traps down on the river yesterday baited with some old rabbit portions and caught a dozen of these:

DSCF01061_zpssvtefbmv.jpg

Bit of purging and then a boil for 5 minutes:

DSCF01071_zpsrwmu16xj.jpg

Now cooling in the fridge for tea tomorrow:

DSCF01081_zps8c1jdhzr.jpg

Love them grilled on kebab sticks with bits of bacon.

The otters on the river are also enjoying them and its interesting to find the chewed up shells on the bankside and always with what appear to be two little white pebbles. A google of this and it turns out that they are calcium deposits (calcium carbonate) that the crayfish accumulate when they molt. So I may start collecting these for some sort of necklace?

• Like 4

very nice! I,d love to catch a few of these and bet they are delicious. It would be nice to have somewhere to catch these but oddly i,m glad their not in my local river! what do they taste like? prawn?

google crayfish in yorkshire

i just did it and tried to put a link but i cant.. theres loads, bradford, silsden hudersfield etc

• Like 1

very nice! I,d love to catch a few of these and bet they are delicious. It would be nice to have somewhere to catch these but oddly i,m glad their not in my local river! what do they taste like? prawn?

google crayfish in yorkshire

i just did it and tried to put a link but i cant.. theres loads, bradford, silsden hudersfield etc

Cheers, iv got a place in mind allready and planning on getting a few to try. Something iv allways wanted to do but it's a few miles away.

river dearn at haigh was full of them mate
  • Like 1

Thank you!!!

Thank you!!!

You are welcome, one or two started to catch them but then seemed to stop, they were a good size and in good numbers, Haigh down to Darton but if they are there, they will bee all along the Dearn anywhere I would imagine,

• Like 1

I know people do go to a lot of effort with purging. But all I do is put them in a clean bucket chuck a load of salt on them which gets them agitated and hose in a load of fresh water which causes them to chuck out a load of dirt. Repeat this one more time and the water is clear. Put them into boiling water for five minutes before removing to cool down then into the fridge. Next day pull the tails off snip along the top of the tail with some fine pointed scissors, peel back and remove the flesh and pull out the intestine. Sometimes get meat from the claws if large enough. Never had any ill effects from doing it this way. However, this part of the river is not far from its source so very little pollution would be in there.