Fac : Flo Permission `v` Land Owner Permission.

So, I get how my 1st permission works. Visit by the local FLO, land assessed, (.22lr) report to my FLO. Visit from my FLO with relevant paperwork, he entered the details onto the database sorted! I get how my 2nd permission worked. Meeting with the local FLO to access land, (he also assesses the surrounding land due to pending permissions / no need to revisit) met landowner, filled in paperwork, entered on the database by the local FLO. Now my 3rd permission, I have sent off the relevant paperwork (signed for as a safety precaution) and as I don't have the name of who will enter my new permission, how do I know how long it will take or if this has been entered onto the database? Do I have to call/email or is there a way of entering my FAC number to check the correct land/calibre has been entered?

Edited by David Aiken

Sorry. What's the question? How long it takes from being checked to actually being on the system as cleared for a certain calibre or how long does it take them to clear it in the first place? cheers.

Land would be cleared or not. it won't be cleared for a certain individual. :thumbs: If you need to know if a specific bit of land is cleared you can just call or email the Firearm enquiry team. It's on a national database.

At my 1st permission the FLO met myself and the landowner, reported back to my FLO, (as this was my 1st permission), sorted. At my 2nd permission (different area) another FLO met myself and the landowner, agreed okay for .22lr and entered this on my record (as I haven't an open licence), sorted. This land will now also be on the database, sorted. While the FLO was at the 2nd permission he agreed for several pieces of surrounding land for .22lr use. (8 or so, ranging from 2-6 acres) However these will not go on the database until I send in the Police permission slips, as and when I get permission, at the time of his visit I didn't know the landowners. I now have permission for one of these plots.

So the question was:

After sending my permission slip, how and when will I know if/when the land is entered on to my FAC? (not just the database, as I haven't an open FAC) By keep ringing/email or can I enter my FAC details somewhere to find out?

Edited by David Aiken

All force areas seem to be different, but it seems unusual that each bit of land has to be entered on your FAC. When I had a closed ticket I didn't have any land put on my FAC, it just said "Any land deemed suitable by Chief Officer" etc.

Obviously i had to tell them about the first piece of land but it was never put on my ticket and as long as future land was cleared (easy to find out by phoning them) and i had permission they were happy for me to shoot there.

I don't know if your force are particularly fussy or maybe there has been some confusion between you and the FEO, but if the land is deemed suitable for you, it's suitable for anyone with a FAC (open or closed) and permission.

What if you had 100 different places to shoot? I can't imagine the police would want to have all the aggro of putting each bit of land down against your ticket

The short answer to your question though is phone them or email them. I'd clarify the need to keep informing them of new land, unless of course it needs clearing.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

I recently gained a new permission. I left a voicemail for my feo telling him the details. he called me to tell me that the land was already cleared up to .22lr and I should let Maidstone fd know and they would send me a letter to confirm. I called the firearms dept and spoke to someone who told me to fax/email a copy of my permission form which I did but whilst on the phone she told me that I couldn't shoot until I received a letter back. I reminded her that of course I can shoot it with a 12ftlbs and she said "Just a minute" and came back after a while agreeing with me. She seemed to think the letter might take two weeks to get to me.

atb Paul

I don't have any of my perms on my ticket.

I think it's just recorded on my file.

Edited by toxo

I had exactly the same situation as this, I got a closed ticket they told me every new permission I get I had to send in permission slips and wait for them to send me letter back before I could shoot, well I got in touch with basc and he emailed the head of kent firearms and I have it in black and white as long as I know the land is cleared I am good to go so after this on my next new permission I just phoned to check it was cleared and they said it was so I said thanks and started shooting. Had a call from flo a few days later saying the land had to be checked and I had t I send in permission forms and I told him about my email I had from the head of Kent firearms, anyway he got back to me and said I was good to go and also said they will open my ticket as was sending in new permissions every few weeks and causing them a lot of work so result at the end. Get in touch with basc as you don't have to keep sending in permission forms as long as you know the land is cleared.

I had exactly the same situation as this, I got a closed ticket they told me every new permission I get I had to send in permission slips and wait for them to send me letter back before I could shoot, well I got in touch with basc and he emailed the head of kent firearms and I have it in black and white as long as I know the land is cleared I am good to go so after this on my next new permission I just phoned to check it was cleared and they said it was so I said thanks and started shooting. Had a call from flo a few days later saying the land had to be checked and I had t I send in permission forms and I told him about my email I had from the head of Kent firearms, anyway he got back to me and said I was good to go and also said they will open my ticket as was sending in new permissions every few weeks and causing them a lot of work so result at the end. Get in touch with basc as you don't have to keep sending in permission forms as long as you know the land is cleared.

Very interesting midge.

I'll be on the phone tomorrow :)

With all the cuts to police staff around the country over the last five years and Theresa May's intention to cut that further, there are a lot of new FEO's around the country who are not as clued up as those stalwarts, many of whom have taken voluntary redundancy or retired while they can.

Midge is absolutely correct in that if your certificate states "on land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of police for the area" or words to that effect, then providing you are 100% sure that the land is passed for the calibre of weapon you possess, you can shoot there with the permission of the owner without any comeback,

There is no requirement to keep sending permission slips to the firearms department or for any land to be entered individually on an FAC,

If you ring and find out over the phone or email that a piece of land is passed for your calibre, then happy shooting,

They are just making huge amounts of work for themselves doing things as described above, something they cannot afford to do in the next few years when renewals are forecast to be very high.

All force areas seem to be different, but it seems unusual that each bit of land has to be entered on your FAC. When I had a closed ticket I didn't have any land put on my FAC, it just said "Any land deemed suitable by Chief Officer" etc.

Obviously i had to tell them about the first piece of land but it was never put on my ticket and as long as future land was cleared (easy to find out by phoning them) and i had permission they were happy for me to shoot there.

I don't know if your force are particularly fussy or maybe there has been some confusion between you and the FEO, but if the land is deemed suitable for you, it's suitable for anyone with a FAC (open or closed) and permission.

What if you had 100 different places to shoot? I can't imagine the police would want to have all the aggro of putting each bit of land down against your ticket

The short answer to your question though is phone them or email them. I'd clarify the need to keep informing them of new land, unless of course it needs clearing.

I may be wrong but it would appear from talking to 3 Kent FLO`s this is indeed the case, all permission is put on an individuals file, if like me they have a closed ticket :hmm:

I guess the reason the FLO wants me personally to keep sending in the slips is the land has been preliminary okayed for .22lr by him but is not on the database and will save a visit each time a new permission he's already seen is granted? Plus if the land is on my file, I hope when I have 6 or 7 different types of land (footpath, animals, property, flat field, hilly ect..) on my record, I've more chance of an open FAC?

I may be wrong but it would appear from talking to 3 Kent FLO`s this is indeed the case, all permission is put on an individuals file, if like me they have a closed ticket :hmm:

I guess the reason the FLO wants me personally to keep sending in the slips is the land has been preliminary okayed for .22lr by him but is not on the database and will save a visit each time a new permission he's already seen is granted? Plus if the land is on my file, I hope when I have 6 or 7 different types of land (footpath, animals, property, flat field, hilly ect..) on my record, I've more chance of an open FAC?

Then I break the law most weeks. All three of them are talking bollocks if they have told you it's a legal requirement. A made up force-specific requirement is another matter.

Sometimes you just have to play their game unfortunately.

Then I break the law most weeks. All three of them are talking bollocks if they have told you it's a legal requirement. A made up force-specific requirement is another matter.

I am pretty sure its a made up Kent Police policy, but, as you say, I have to play their game. (until there is a nation wide gun/permission/the person, not the land policy!)

Edited by David Aiken

I rang my fao to ask if land had been passed on my new perm they said it was just send a copy of permission in. I rang back the next day to inform them I had verbal permission only to which a different fao said the was passed for 22lr and if I verbal permission it was fine to shoot but try get it in writing as if I get stopped they have to then bother the land owner. I double checked saying " so I can shot my 22lr on the land with verbal permission only I am not breaking any law " his reply was "yes you are fine to shoot with verbal permission only. The law states as long as your using the correct caliber for that land and have permission be it verbal or in writing its legal "

You still on a closed ticket BH?

How quaint! :tongue2: