Hunt Service

ive seen two hounds cold mark with the rest of the pack not interacting near the huntsmen , ive seen a terrier used too no avail and another entered what found ,.........I will tell anyone that my dog has failed too find I woint talk shite too cover anything up , no way,......terriermen blaming hounds for cold marking wrong , wankers

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your young do it, I left school and went into hunt service, terrier man, then whip then huntsman and it's fantastic, it's a good job when your young but 6 hrs on a horse 4 days a week does have an

A good huntsman will find his terrier man out and will know everyone of the terrier mans terriers very well and the terrier man will know the most reliable marking hounds Good terriers will make good

as i said im not saying today isnt hard, but on a good scenting day you dont need a huntsman, there is a difference between a huntsman and a showman, a good huntsman only needs 1 fox and a good showma

A good terrierman will work so closely with the huntsman that most in the field wont know whats going on, if you (as a terrierman) do your job right you will do what you are there for and that's to support the huntsman, where you had the guy who worked all week and did a big of stopping on a Saturday morning and sits there until he is needed he is not the best for the job. Before most days hunting i knew where there was at least 2 holes well used and an artificial with a fox in. in my day we didnt have quads, mobile phones to make life easy we spent a lot walking, or sitting on a spade. terrier at foot, and when you were needed you were there, no fuss. I read many a report in H&H how they found here and hunted to here and killed here or some 6 miles later, most followers quite right were unaware they had changed foxes twice and the original fox was put to ground and dug whilst they hunted a fresh one and as they came close he was bolted and hunted again. or at the end of a good day they have lost their fox the terrier man would say quietly to the huntsman draw up along that hedge and mark by the oak tree, they would, they found, i dug they killed. wonderful day sir crap crap crap, everyone went home happy. Thats what hunt service was like... This went to my whip days and when i hunted hounds, it was my roots that made me be aware of my country and still does today.

Today i shoot foxes and deer and i do exactly the same now as i did then, do my homework, walk every hedge in the summer, climb trees and look get up early and sit and watch, count cubs see where they go, it all pays off.

• Like 2

Would love to be involved in hunt service !!

do it pal,there needs to be people going into it for the game to have a future. no people going threw the ranks there would be no huntsmen in years to come

What fecks me off the most is seeing a piss poor terrierman tell a good huntsman there's nothing at home after his hounds have marked...and the great shame is if you prove mr terrierman wrong then he would turn sour.

mine is when a terrier man gets to a hole and grunts at his dog saying "get in there" quite loudly walking about the holes and looking down them with a torch
as you know there don't need to be a word spoken to a decent terrier, juat drop it down and sit n wait. As its been said here a good huntsman will know a terriermans terriers, and also know his best marking hounds. Too many times iv heard terriermens excuses, bolted while netting/blocking up, too tight for the dog, hounds false marked.....feckall worse than hearing it and knowing its nothing you can do about it without upsetting someone. Im a youngster myself and would love to go into it...cant ve picky and choosey but it would have to be the right job and under a good honest huntsman.

What fecks me off the most is seeing a piss poor terrierman tell a good huntsman there's nothing at home after his hounds have marked...and the great shame is if you prove mr terrierman wrong then he would turn sour.

mine is when a terrier man gets to a hole and grunts at his dog saying "get in there" quite loudly walking about the holes and looking down them with a torch
as you know there don't need to be a word spoken to a decent terrier, juat drop it down and sit n wait. As its been said here a good huntsman will know a terriermans terriers, and also know his best marking hounds. Too many times iv heard terriermens excuses, bolted while netting/blocking up, too tight for the dog, hounds false marked.....feckall worse than hearing it and knowing its nothing you can do about it without upsetting someone. Im a youngster myself and would love to go into it...cant ve picky and choosey but it would have to be the right job and under a good honest huntsman.

i agree 100% hunting is like all other jobs you get good bad and indifferent! i know of a couple of amature huntsmen who put other professional huntsman i know to shame..

what makes a huntsman? because one of the best up and coming huntsman and hound man i know has a hand full of wild irish harriers and can read his hounds and foxes like a book! i honestly hope he gets a good pack going and keeps at it.

hunt service is some thing i have always wanted to do and lasy year i was offerd a job with a harrier pack....and got all set but turned it down at the last min and have and will always regretted it

but i had a call from queensland last week offering me a job with a old friend of mine out their as a mounted whip..and a little bit of wild dog controle :D

dont mind if i do :yes::yes:

So are you taking it PK ?

Nice opportunity.

the way things are going hear..its looking very likely!

If you don't want it, PM me the details and I'll go do it!

• 3 months later...

i agree 100% hunting is like all other jobs you get good bad and indifferent! i know of a couple of amature huntsmen who put other professional huntsman i know to shame..

what makes a huntsman? because one of the best up and coming huntsman and hound man i know has a hand full of wild irish harriers and can read his hounds and foxes like a book! i honestly hope he gets a good pack going and keeps at it.

hunt service is some thing i have always wanted to do and lasy year i was offerd a job with a harrier pack....and got all set but turned it down at the last min and have and will always regretted it

but i had a call from queensland last week offering me a job with a old friend of mine out their as a mounted whip..and a little bit of wild dog controle :D

dont mind if i do :yes::yes:

So are you taking it PK ?

Nice opportunity.

the way things are going hear..its looking very likely!

If you don't want it, PM me the details and I'll go do it!

What happened with the job?