Hunt Service

In wales nearly all packs only employ a huntsman haven't got enough money for anyone else and alot of huntsmen are happy to put their red coat on and trot around the countryside just looking the part even before the ban but I blame the masters cause they are in charge it seem they are masters cause they got plenty of money but just haven't got a clue but there are some good huntsmen and masters in wales but verry little and I think it will get worse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your young do it, I left school and went into hunt service, terrier man, then whip then huntsman and it's fantastic, it's a good job when your young but 6 hrs on a horse 4 days a week does have an

A good huntsman will find his terrier man out and will know everyone of the terrier mans terriers very well and the terrier man will know the most reliable marking hounds Good terriers will make good

as i said im not saying today isnt hard, but on a good scenting day you dont need a huntsman, there is a difference between a huntsman and a showman, a good huntsman only needs 1 fox and a good showma

I agree there is still some good huntsmen out there, not enough in my book and some who have been doing it a long time, I was second whip at a well known pack and the first whip then is now a huntsman still some 20 plus yrs later.

Your story of a fox in a drain reminded me of a situation I was watching when visiting a neighbouring pack, in the southern half of UK, the hunt put a fox in a drain, it was running water, the young lad who was doing the terriers was gonna put his dog in, they netted the down drain and an older guy who used to do terriers said never put your dog in a drain lad where it has running water. I'm watching and the lad went to the huntsman and said sorry we can't get it. The huntsman said ok but they wanted it as the hounds had done well, I said to the lad do you want this fox he said yes and I said so your gonna bolt it and shoot it he said yes. I said take your coat off we walked to the down side, I said stick your coat in the hole and put your foot on it and don't move till I say so. I went to the other end of the drain some 40 yds up the road and watched the water going in and then the water stopped I walked to the lad said give it 3 mins and take your coat away. He took his coat away to a flood of water I said grab the fox as it comes out, he did.

Hello Philluk, nice to see there are some people on this forum with knowledge about hunting with hounds and terriers. Although for sure, there are some good guys on here who know their Mushrooms! Hope everyone is well and could they send their best regards to BRIAN MAY for me please. He's a wonderful fellow and his knowledge of foxes and badgers are second to none! Best regards. Lutra Lutra.

What fecks me off the most is seeing a piss poor terrierman tell a good huntsman there's nothing at home after his hounds have marked...and the great shame is if you prove mr terrierman wrong then he would turn sour.

• Like 3

i agree 100% hunting is like all other jobs you get good bad and indifferent! i know of a couple of amature huntsmen who put other professional huntsman i know to shame..

what makes a huntsman? because one of the best up and coming huntsman and hound man i know has a hand full of wild irish harriers and can read his hounds and foxes like a book! i honestly hope he gets a good pack going and keeps at it.

hunt service is some thing i have always wanted to do and lasy year i was offerd a job with a harrier pack....and got all set but turned it down at the last min and have and will always regretted it

but i had a call from queensland last week offering me a job with a old friend of mine out their as a mounted whip..and a little bit of wild dog controle :D

dont mind if i do :yes::yes:

So are you taking it PK ?

Nice opportunity.

the way things are going hear..its looking very likely!

• Like 1

What fecks me off the most is seeing a piss poor terrierman tell a good huntsman there's nothing at home after his hounds have marked...and the great shame is if you prove mr terrierman wrong then he would turn sour.

mine is when a terrier man gets to a hole and grunts at his dog saying "get in there" quite loudly walking about the holes and looking down them with a torch

• Like 1

while on the subject about pissing followers off :thumbs: hounds are in cover a fox slips out and followed by 6 hounds across the plough the whip follows them and the huntsman calls the hounds back to him,dues to the whip the huntsman was told they were on a line he replied" I dont want the pack splitting up"while all the time hes on the mobile talking to the terrier man :icon_eek: the hunt solved this problem by telling the terrier man he had not to enter cover till hounds had left said cover.

Y.I.S Leeview

pre ban we found in a thick covert at the end of the day , huntsman ran with the hounds as no acess for horse , ran a couple of mile ,.........hounds marked well , for the terrierman too get out a terrier that went in and out , and pick it up and say hes not interested ,.........our huntsmen was fuming as he does terrier work , didn't offer too try another dog , because then theres would of failed ,........too common accurance sadly

A good huntsman will find his terrier man out and will know everyone of the terrier mans terriers very well and the terrier man will know the most reliable marking hounds Good terriers will make good hounds and good hounds will make good terriers if the huntsman and terrier man are singing off the same hymn sheet they should work together and be very honest with their hounds and terriers and be it hounds or terrier found to be guilty on a day it should never be spoken about openly only between themselfs

• Like 5

Problems can be solved without back stabbing and squabbling as long as the problem is dealt with who cares and ever heard of making a mountain out of a mole hill no need as far as im concerned why tell someone ur friends dog as failed when its with the fairy's who concern is that ill tell you its knowbodys

• Like 1

while on the subject about pissing followers off :thumbs: hounds are in cover a fox slips out and followed by 6 hounds across the plough the whip follows them and the huntsman calls the hounds back to him,dues to the whip the huntsman was told they were on a line he replied" I dont want the pack splitting up"while all the time hes on the mobile talking to the terrier man :icon_eek: the hunt solved this problem by telling the terrier man he had not to enter cover till hounds had left said cover.

Y.I.S Leeview

lol with a fell packs or private packs their would have been a massive amount of hollering and every hound for 5 miles would be making for the spot! :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

"He must have slipped out un-noticed Sir." or "He must have been in it last night".

Everyone happy.

how about just telling the truth...if he was in it last night the hounds if good should know it is a cold mark same as the terrier.... too many folk thing a good dog should search every covert or hole for it to be a confirmed mark...a good hound or terrier knows whats hot and is not.... a false marking or scent dwindling hound is as useless as a terrier that searches an empty burrow....and a terrier that can not stipulate between a live burrow & evict or stay with his fox...is not worthy to be called a terrier... and a hound that can not find and evict his fox is just as useless and because its born a hound if it cant find foxes then it does not deserve to be called a hound.